HybridZ

315 gears

Guest SHARKMAN

Guest SHARKMAN

I have a 1977 with a r200 diff. My question is where can I get a set of 315 gears at? I figured maybe some one would have some idea of where to start looking. I plan on installing an LSD soon would that present any problems? I can find the LSD rear thats the easy part. I was going to ask a nissan dealer but I just haven't had time. If any one just happens to have a set they want to sell let me know.

The 3.15:1 set has been NLA for a long time. Since the dealers never stocked them, and they were a NISMO part, I doubt there are any at the dealers.

3.15:1 don't get you much for cruising - an overdrive tranny is the way to go for that effect. But they are nice to get some trannies to work at just the right rpm at the strip.

Look at my previous post about t350, etc. and you'll see that 3.15:1 doesn't get you but a hundred or two rpm difference at 65. Just multiply the 3.545:1 rpm for a given tranny by 3.15/3.545 and you'll see what I mean.

Guest SHARKMAN

The reason I was wondering about the 315 ratio is because of the following. I thought I had a five speed but I found out it wasn't any good. I already have a 4 speed that I could use but I wouldn't have quite what I want,I thought maybe I could componsate for the top end. So I guess I will just have to find another five speed or maybe a six speed. When I find my LSD at the wrecking yard will I be forced into using the 3.70 or can I retain the 3.54-1 ratio that my car originaly came with fron the factoy?

I'd think it would be a bit cheaper and easier to get an LSD out of a turbo 300Z at the wrecking yards. I think that would give you a 3.7 rear and an LSD. The cost of a new LSD at Nissan is apparently pretty rude and from what I've read not many people can properly setup rear gears for these cars anyway.

What rear have you got now and what's our reason for wanting the 3.15? If it's simply to reduce cruising RPM then Pete's right on the money - go for an overdrive tranny...

Guest Anonymous

I have a 3.54:1 R200 LSD, which was built by putting an LSD centre in the original diff, with the 3.54 gearset. Now, I have to say I didn't do it myself (a shop did it for me) but at least I can give you assurance it can be done....

And if you ever do find 3.15 gearsets, let me know.....

I'm glad to hear it can be done! Over on Zcar I'd read several posts that seemed to indicate that setting up gears inthese rears could be difficult. It also sounded like there might be some carrier issues but it wasn't clear. This is GOOD news! Now, if I could just find myself an LSD with the purty aluminum cover :-)

Guest SHARKMAN

zedskid Thanks for your reply it makes me happy to find out I don;t have to stay with the 3.70-1 gears I'm after the top end. I probibly won't have to much of a problem when my engine is finally in. It is ready with the exception of a couple of items. I have a 406 with all of the upgrades to the block for extra cooling and strength by using pipe plugs in the large holes in the block. Yes of course you make a hole after the block deck is resurfaced. And there are some other passages that they openedIt up but I'm not a expert machinest so I can't tell you every thing that they did. Should have about 500-550 horse power. Enough of this bragging stuff I just need to get on with it. I hope to have it on the road after the first of the year. So many things to do and so little time to do them. I guess every body has the same problem,anyway thanks for the info.