HybridZ

FYI - Griffin radiators 26X19 on backorder

BLKMGK

Um, just a question here BLKMGK: I got an email today saying you had posed a reply to my topic "I want to go fast in a 200sx" It's in the Miscelaneous Tech section. But there is no such post there... do you know what is going on? (is it just a problem with the site? of with maybe my computer?)

------------------

The crazy datsun guy

I could not fit the 26" Griffin in my car because I used angle iron to "box in" my sub-frame by mig welding it all the way from the floor pan to the core support. This does a great job of to reinforcing the front end but uses up a bit of space. However, the guys at Griffin made me a 25"x19" just by narrowing both tanks a bit. Then they heli-arced an piece of 2"x2" aluminum angle stock on both tanks to form a flange. I then drilled holes in the flange to match up with the stock location of the original radiator and bolted it in.

Not the cheapest way but it looks like Nissan engineered it that way and does it ever cool the engine.

Guest RyalC

I broke the carpenters montra (measure twice, cut once) and didn't measure my own car before ordering a Griffin 26x19 radiator for my '73 240Z project. Unfortunately, there is only 25.5" between the frame rails frown.gif I haven't decided if I will modify the rails (I know all the structural issues and that would be compensated for) or return the radiator for a 24x19. Just a little info for those with a '73 wink.gif

Ryalc - Mike measured his "26X19" radiator and it came up just over 25! That's why I ordered mine - I've got a 72 with the SAME spacing you've got.

Uh oh! You got one and it was actually 26 inches? Aw hell. I didn't go with the 24 since I figured that this was with tanks and all and by my measure I've only got just over 24 showing through the front frame thingy (smile).

Mike - anything you can add to clarify?

Guest RyalC

I don't recall the exact measurements (I'm travelling as usual). The 26x19 may have measured out to 25.5" but whatever the exact measurement I was short between the frame rails at least 1/2". I was bummed. I may "integrate" a mounting mechanism (c-channel) with the frame rails (a little steel cutting a pasting) and still use the 26x19 radiator however.

Any opinions on the cooling of the Griffin vs the GM F-body radiator with the plastic tanks? They both cost about the same and I know one of them fits fine :-) I can cancel the Griffin pretty easily since it's backordered but I'll want to make a decision "soon". It sure seemed to fit into Mike Kelly's car pretty well. Hrmph!

Anyone else running this radiator?

Lee (JuJu) has the GM radiator, with the electric fan running and in traffic the temp never went over 160. In hot weather it may go up to 180. The fins on these are 7/8" wide, compared to the Griffin at 1". Thats only 1/8" difference. If you need repairs, you just go to the nearist rad shop. It may not be that easy with a Griffin.

My intent (if I EVER get there!) is to use the JTR setup. I've been reading this string with great interest, with JuJu's car as good news. This raises 2 questions in my mind, does the build (horses, torque etc.) call for a Griiffin, where a more mild build, say under 400HP works just fine with the Camaro unit? JTR says a "late Ford 2 spd cooling fan", but no specifics, like part# or at least a year and model-anybody know for sure?

Aw kripes, now I'm on the fence again about the GM radiator. Getting the Griffin repaired isn't an issue, I know guys who own a radiator shop. Unfortunatly they can't get me the GM radiator for much less than the Griffin. JTR stated that the larger radiators were used on higher HP Camaros and bigger trucks. The difference was the tanbk size not the core - more water in other words. The Griffin has much bigger tanks so I figured it would support more HP....

How much HP is Lee running? I'm hunting a mod motored Mustang radiator fan myself. 2 speed yes.

Guest Locutus

More water is not always a better thing, its the cooling area of the radiator. So the larger the core the better it cools, tanks size is not so much of an issue, you will have plenty of water since there is water in the engine and all the hoses as well.

Mike

About the Ford Fans. Mike kZ is right, the Taurus fan is shrouded, the GT Mod motor Mustang fan is not. If the Taurus fan motor is the same as the Mustang one, I'd go for the Taurus piece as a shroud is better, and you wouldn't have to make one.

I'm goint to try to go with out a shroud first, since I have the Mustang fan mounted 1/4" from the core of the Camaro radiator. I may end up adding a shroud and moving the fan back a bit.