HybridZ

ZG Metal Flares

Thought I would share some pics of my Metal ZG Flares - still have to bog them, but finished glueing them in place :-)!

I really like the look of the ZG Flares, but don't much care for the bolted on ones, so I got a local Body-Shop to make me some copies of some Fibreglass ZG Flares out of Mild Steel so I could intergrate them into the body!!!

I would love to know how he made them, so anyone with an idea would love to hear from you! I don't know how he made the lip part, the actual flare yes, but not the lip!

Comparison of the Fibreglass and Mild Steel Flares!

21112008404640x480.jpg

The Guards, I wasn't brave enough to use my good ones, these are fine, there just not the best guards I have :-)!

190420091021640x480.jpg

Made some marks and made some cuts!

190420091023640x480.jpg

Stripped of the paint and made marks where I was going to cut the guard to match it up with the new flare!

190420091027640x480.jpg

Flare on with Metal Scews than tacked!

190420091028640x480.jpg

190420091029640x480.jpg

Underside of the Guard!

190420091031640x480.jpg

190420091032640x480.jpg

All welded, both sides!!!

190420091033640x480.jpg

190420091045640x480.jpg

190420091035640x480.jpg

Welds sanded back ready for Bogging and Primer!

190420091036640x480.jpg

190420091038640x480.jpg

190420091041640x480.jpg

Yes, If I use these guards I will run ZG metal flares on the rear!!!

I originally was going to make the entire front guards out of Fibreglass, but made them out of 1800-2000 weight and they were about 5-6mm thick, so they didn't quite fit - then I trimmed them down so they would and it was really thin - looked good though :-)!!!

18112008385640x480.jpg

18112008386640x480.jpg

Therefore, I only got two metal ZG Flares made, but because the Fibreglass didn't really work out, decided I would see if they would work out on the fronts before I took the plunge and hacked up the rear guards!

I would love to figure out how the Body-Shop guy made these with his hands, so anyone with an idea please chime in :-)!

Also, this is my tricky way of fooling Rego, I guess I will have a largish increase in track, so when I rock up to Rego with a 7" rim that sits well within the guards I can, um, say the track is stock..............

Thanks guys, but I only attached these things, the fellow who made the Flares derserves the credit me thinks :-)!

I don't see any images, but I was looking for ZG flares made of steel also. I was thinking about making them myself, but was not sure how to do it by hand. Can you post the images again, I would love to see them?

I have seen guards made with big sloping curves and that appear reasonably straight forward, just needed a knee and some patience - also an English Wheel doesn't hurt either! So the actual Flare part is pretty straight forward - search on Youtube for "Making your own fenders", found some pretty good information there!

But - I have no idea how the fellow who made mine got the lip in there! They cost me $200AUD a side, which isn't exactly cheap, but they were very well made!

If you bend the lip first then try and make the flare, I think it will buckle, and be very very difficult to get the flare shape once you put a lip on! If you make the flare then try and do the lip, I think you will most likely tare the steel - I think there was a bit of hammering involved with the lip, and because of the shape he wasn't able to use an English-Wheel, so he sanded it instead with an angle grinder to smooth out the flare? I am only guessing though!

I am going to see if I can sit with him when I get him to make me two more!

Is it just me or is the inside curve way off forward??? Which means it will be covering the top left side of the tires if lowered?

The flares are lined up with the inside lip, but the flare on the passenger side wasn't exactly like the original FB flare - was a touch smaller, so it might be a touch further forward, but not at the sides, at the top, kinda sucked the guard in when I welded it together - but the drivers side was pretty much spot on!

But these flares weren't absolutely perfect, well made, but they didn't turn out as exact replications of the FB Flares, they needed a bit of trimming and the arc on one was a touch off!

Might have more to do with the angle of the photos aswell?

• 2 weeks later...
show me a finished product and i might have you do me some

:-), wish I was the one who made them, I just attached them - guy who made them for me charged $200AUD/side, which for hand made flares seemed quite reasonable, but I don't think they would be massively difficult to make, just the guard lip - stuffed if I know how he did that!!!

I will have to get out some mild steel and bend it around and see what I come up with - however, think I will still need an English Wheel to get the desired end result!

Couldn't find any videos on Youtube :-)!