HybridZ

1978 Datsun 280, replacing front rotor, wheel bearing torque spec? Re-use bearings?

I decided to replace the front brake pads on my 78 Datsun 280 today since the one pad wore thru the rotor and scuffed it up pretty bad. One piston on the caliper was frozen so i decided i would use a ball joint fork to bang in there and compress the piston. Worked fine for 3 of the pistons since i was using a flat blade on the other side to keep the piston square in the bore. Well this last one was froze up pretty good and i ended up cracking the rotor which i wasnt worried about until i realized these are the style attached to the wheel hubs so i see i must removed the axel nut and possibly bearings to get to it.

So here are my questions. I removed the dust cap, see theres a cotter pin and a locking cap etc so i removed those, and the whole assembly slides off?

What do i retorque the axle nut to? I read you torque it down then back it off 60 degrees but couldnt find how much to torque it to.

It looks like the rotor unbolts from the hub assembly correct?

What grease do you all reccomend for packing these bearings?

Can the bearings be re used?

I'll be ordering a new rotor and caliper from Autozone tomorrow for $42 rotor, and $32 caliper.

Thanks guys!

Shawn

torque down to 18-22 lbs. and then back off the nut about 1/8 turn.

I wouldn't reuse the bearings, unless you intend to the redo/replace the whole thing sooner down the road :P. I would if it was only temp. Remember to pack the bearings with wheel grease thoroughly.

if you do re-use bearings, make sure to totally clean everything and repack with fresh grease.

i too recommend replacing the bearings. it saves the trouble of re-doing them when one breaks and the hub falls off on the road (not fun, had something similar happen in a fwd car with rear wheel)

Yeah i had a rear bearing completely fail on my Porche 944 and it titled the wheel into the wheel well.

I ended up re-using the bearings because it was raining when i was finishign it up and i didnt have a new spindle/bearing seal. I bought new wheel beadings and all but ended up just re-packing the outer bearing, the inner bearing i put some more grease in with my finger. It all seems fine. I'll re-check them in 50 miles or so and see how they're holding up.