HybridZ

Bought a Project `78 Fairlady 2+2

misterZ

Well, my 16 yo son decided on his first project and went with a 78 Fairlady (RHD) 280Z 2+2. The previous owner stated it has a bored out L26. It's pretty rough but shouldn't take much to get it running as I'm told it would start and run as long as you spray it w/ starting fluid (bad fuel pump?).

picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=302picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=301

picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=306picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=304

picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=307

Purchased for $540. but still need to get it home from TN. :burnout:

Finalizing plans to drive up Thurs and return Friday so the car is here before the weekend. The VIN is HGS130003118; since this is technically the first year of the S130, we should be able to swap (most) parts w/ any S130 correct? Curious about the engine bay though since it's RHD, I presume everything is on the opposite side as the domestic version--so parts like fuel rails, intake/exhaust, etc would have to come from another RHD car? Guess I'll be making some Japan & Aussie friends! :icon44:

mister

The VIN is HGS130003118; since this is technically the first year of the S130, we should be able to swap (most) parts w/ any S130 correct? Curious about the engine bay though since it's RHD, I presume everything is on the opposite side as the domestic version--so parts like fuel rails, intake/exhaust, etc would have to come from another RHD car?

mister

^^ that's crazy, I'm Brian Fellows! (I was tired?) :redface:

More of the interior; surprisingly the dash only has one crack that's very repairable. Looks like we'll need a new ignition switch/key set since it's all rusted (strange). The rear seat is near perfect and hatch area isn't too bad... overall the interior is in nice shape.

We have family in town visiting but the goal is to get the carpet out and inspect any floor rust this weekend; as time allows.

picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=411

picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=416

picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=412

picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=413picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=414picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=415

• 2 weeks later...

Carpet is out and the floor is perfect, no rust and solid as a rock. Started some minor body work, grinding & Duraglass body filler on rear quarter and driver's side rocker & door. Changing out fuel pump next to get car running; we've been anxiously awaiting to hear the dual exhaust & headers :mrgreen:.

picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=455picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=454picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=456picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=457

• 6 months later...

With riverz's help we cleaned all the electrical connectors and replaced the injectors/fuel rail but noticed there is a distinct difference in the head--no notch for the injector spray. We bolted up the EFI to the E88 head but could only get the car to run by priming the intake. Turns out we have an L26 block, E88 head w/ EFI(?).

I have a set of SUs we're going to try after I get them rebuilt and hope that solves our problem. I presume the L26 was never designed for EFI and probably the reason the seller got rid of the car since he couldn't get it to run. :hs: