HybridZ

New s130 owner with a few questions

WV75Z

Hello to everyone on the forum! A couple of weeks ago I bought bakerzxt's 280zxt. It's a nice ride and my first s130 though I've owned a few z31's and an s30. It is also my first turbo car which I'm pretty stoked about. My plans include (and I'm not asking questions before I search because I know this has been covered a million times over) a few repairs and then running 10lbs of boost and getting the car in good tune (which it seems to be already) and familiarizing myself with the car and the turbo system and how to tune it as well as verifying what needs attention and what doesn't. It already has the suspension goods and handles well enough for my intended use which is weekend and evening fun in the summer.

For the past couple of weekends I have been going through the car and fixing little things that I knew the car needed when I bought it. I am down to only a couple of semi-major items (for me at least) that I am a little anxious about since I've never done them before. This weekend I'll attempt to swap in a lower mileage diff to replace the LOUD whining one that's in there now. I know these diffs can whine some but the PO and I both agreed this one needs replaced or fixed. So of course I'll review the procedure in the FSM first but does anyone here have any words of advice before I this? Things to check for while the new diff is out, mounts to replace, obstructions in getting the diff out of the car. Is this PTA or straight forward and easy?

Next I have to do the exhaust/intake manifold and I'm really not looking forward to it. After that it will hopefully be time to tune and the car should be pretty well lined out and just need some minor maintainence items. So if anyone is still reading, thanks and I'll probably be asking more questions sooner than later.

Welcome to the site.

Have you changed the diff. fluid yet? Sometimes doing that will make the whine go away considerably.

Plan on replacing the differential mount. It's a rubber piece at the back. Also not a bad idea to replace the isolator bushings in the rear cross-member since you're back there.

I think the hardest part to removing the diff. is getting the CV shafts disconnected from their hubs. 14mm bolts I believe. Best to jack up the rear, not using the diff as a jack point. Put some stands under it, remove all the bolts you need to (in the FSM,) and use a jack to help wiggle and lower the diff down.

As for the manifold gaskets - may want to purchase some new studs. Be very careful and soak them with penetrating oil a few days before starting. If you break some, you'll be down for a while.

• 3 weeks later...