HybridZ

should i buy this turbo?

Ruiz Racing

No. Thats a junk chinese made turbo with horrible quality components. You get what you pay for with turbos, get a quality Garrett or Turbonetics or something...dont get a chinese turbo from ebay, you'll regret it. It also wouldn't work with the stock 280ZX wastegate as the Nissan 5-bolt flange is different than the "standard" t3 5-bolts.

I'd be wary. But you should know that a LOT of "American" parts are actually rebranded Chinese parts, like it or not. Even some that you'd be quite surprised as they're "trusted" names in the performance business. I won't name names for legal reasons, but I DO know that this is a fact.

...for what it's worth. I'd still be wary though and be 100% sure of their return policy in case you decide to buy.

Isn't there also a couple guys here using Chinese turbos with good results? I distinctly remember at least one. Wish I could remember who though. Try a search.

DO NOT GET THAT TURBO! My friend used the same turbo on his 89 240sx with a ca18. It had massive amounts of shaft play when he got it. The turbo lasted for less than 25 miles and 6 good pulls. After that it sounded like something crawled inside the intercooler tubing and was howling in pain.

I'd be wary. But you should know that a LOT of "American" parts are actually rebranded Chinese parts, like it or not. Even some that you'd be quite surprised as they're "trusted" names in the performance business. I won't name names for legal reasons, but I DO know that this is a fact.

I wasn't speaking against chinese made parts in general...just specifically the chinese ebay turbos that are $100-200 brand new. Complete and total junk. If someone already has a turbo, getting it rebuilt would be a MUCH better option and you could even have it ported and different wheels put on at the same time for less than the cost of a new turbo.

I'd rather support a real manufacturer than a chinese knock-off most of the time anyway...unless its like the OBX LSD diff. compared to a Quaife which is a $375 to $1500 price difference.

I wasn't speaking against chinese made parts in general...just specifically the chinese ebay turbos that are $100-200 brand new. Complete and total junk. If someone already has a turbo, getting it rebuilt would be a MUCH better option and you could even have it ported and different wheels put on at the same time for less than the cost of a new turbo.

Gotcha! :)

I'd probably try to find what I could in a junkyard first...but that's just me. There's a GREAT writeup about the Holset turbos that come on the Dodge/Cummins trucks.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=960010#post960010

Most everyone wants disposable products, so everyone has to make the same crappy quality to compete. However! Turbos is not something to do this on. Most Chinese stuff of that nature is not made on the proper equipment that costs a lot of money.

I will add another vote for the Holset. I got mine cheap off of ebay (the poster didn't know other cars used them as a big upgrade). They work very well. There are better turbos, but it will get you in the ballpark for cheap. Look for HY35, HX35, HE351, etc.