HybridZ

plexiglass windows

Guest SHARKMAN

Guest SHARKMAN

Is there anybody out there who has plexiglass windows in their car? I'm wondering how much weight they would save,and if it would be worth the expense or not. another thing I wanted to know is are they easy to see out of and do they fog up easy or what. I know plexiglass has been used in airplanes for years. If plexiglass windows are a worthwhile investment where can I buy them at. I have been reading some old magazines I have and lots of racers have used them for years. But I haven't heard anyone talking about them except for the question on fiberglass hatch and plexiglass rear window. Well I hope some one will beable to shine some light on the subject. Which would cost the most glass or plexiglass? If it is to expensive I will simply forget about it.

I believe lexan is what is in aircraft windows, its more scratch resistant and resitant to yellowing, as far as cost I think it depends on the window and if its curved or flat etc. just plain plexiglass is cheap when you buy it in flat sheets, lexan is quite a bit more expensive.

Guest Anonymous

As Locutus was saying, Lexan is more scratch-resistant and more expensive. I donno, unless I had lighted everything else to the max I would'nt mess with it unless its purely for racing. Before I did that I'd save as much weight elseware, like lighter wheels, glass fenders, hood, bumpers, seats, driver (this is if your talking about me heh..), lighter fuel cell, etc, etc.

Just an opinion (and worth exactly what ya paid for it $0.00), to price it out, do a search on plastics on the internet your sure to find someone who can give you the price on the pieces you want done. I had started to price this plastic product talked about in a Locost (Lotus clone) website, apparently they use it for they're flat front windscreen. Can't recall the name of the stuff but was bendable with heat. I was interested in it for a motorcycle fairing project I was doing.

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Sharkman,

I am going to run a fiberglass rear hatch with a Lexan instead of glass. Lexan is some pretty tough stuff as Locutus and Lone pointed out. As far as the cost I am not completely sure. I know that it is available in various thicknesses. If you look at some drag race cars that run Lexan windows it is so thin that they are able to bend it to make the contours. They usually paint ~3/4" to 1" black strip around the outer edge of the Lexan to simulate the weather strip then simply pop rivet the Lexan in place. I plan on doing much of the same thing on my rear hatch but will use sealer under the black strip as well. I am also going to run two aluminum strips down the middle of the Lexan about 6-8" apart to support the Lexan from deforming in the wind when the windows are down.

It should provide significant weight savings. From what I understand a fiberglass rear hatch only weighs ~8lbs and the Lexan will be much lighter than glass.

Mike Kelly, if you read this, remember the Opel Pro Gas car we saw out at your buddy Mark's place. What I described above was exactly how they did the windows.

Chris

Guest SHARKMAN

Thanks guys For such a promt response to my question on plexiglass windows. You guys are most likely right. But I was wondering,I thought that plastic windows were used in some of the cars that were raced an that the windows were originally available from datsun as a racing option as used on GT2 race cars or something like that. I guess I should find some of my old magazines and read them again. The reason I was interested is I need a new windshield. Mine has a couple of chips in it from rocks. If anybody knows anything about those old plastic windows let me know.Thanks

Absolutely how they do it... You guys are doing your homework. Problem with Lexan is that it is Noisy. Sharkman, this excludes you since you guys are making a drag only car. However, other than the rear hatch, I don't think I would use it anywhere else.. stuff is super noisy and hard to seal wind noise out of. Of course, if you are building a car strictly for speed....

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

There are several places to get Lexan but I have the info at home. For the moment I know you can get it through Aircraft Spruce & Specialty. Search on "Lexan" (it takes longer than I expected) and then scroll down the page to see various sizes and prices. Their hard copy catalog (free--500+ pages) can be a good source of info but I don't know how the prices compare. It's a place to start though.

http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/spruce/pages.cgi