HybridZ

rb20 blew up, go rb25????

dizzle

So after 10 miles with a smile on my face, I started to pull into my shop and she died.

Timing belt idler bolt sheared off and resulted in a head full of bent valves. After a few people sweared up and down that it is a non-interferance motor, I took the head off and found that they are very WRONG.

But anyway,

I was going to order another rb20det from roylejapanese.com on friday, but today i found a rb25det longblock only locally in town. And I am wondering what if anything will swap from my rb20det onto the rb25? I know the accessories are interchangeable, and if I do it I will be keeping my rb20det trans. My main questions are will the engine mounts stay in the place, is the upper half of the intake plenum the same (I have a new top half made), fuel rail etc? And is the motor physically bigger? ie L x W x H?

Has anyone done this with parts from both? The guy is selling the long block for 900, is that a good price?

Otherwise it will be another rb20 for me, but the rb25 power would be great as long as I dont have to put too much more money into it.

Oh, I am running custom exhaust manifold, t3/t4 60 trim turbo setup, tial 38mm WG, SDS stand alone, DSM 450cc inj, Custom forward facing upper intake manifold, Walbro 255, 3" turbo back exhaust, precision FMIC

goal was 300 streetable whp

Any input would be great...

Will my mounts still line up you think?

Oh and is tigerjapanese any good? I talked to them on the phone and they sounded kind of shady. Royaljapanese.com was 250 more, but engine came with 60 day warranty and guarenteed to be under 40k miles. Engine pulled from running cars with cluster to verify mileage.

do not base your decision on whether your mounts will work unless you have absolutely no way of modifying or making new mounts.

i cannot say tigerjapanese is any better than any other engine supplier. i know some people that have used them, but if you feel the need to have the 60 day warranty and can get the engine in and started by that time... pay the extra 250 for insurance. it can go a long way.

the rb25 should bolt right up to the engine and mounts, i love my rb20 i beat the crap out of mine and keeps coming back for more. Your new intake wont work on an rb25 unfortunately, all the bolt patterns are different on the plenum halves and head mounting.