HybridZ

idle problem & rpm problem please help

well, i just finally got my 1983 turbo 280z to run and everything seems to be fine, engine runs normal, but when i'm in gear the rpm doesn't want to go pass 3000 RPM.

the car still moves, but slowly and pressing on the gas does nothing.

im totally lost on what it could be. anyone have any thoughts?

also, when releasing the gear coming to a stop, the car just dies. could it be my EGR valve? or something else?

also when im in neutral the rpm is fine, i can rev it freely

i don't think i have an exhaust leak because we checked and couldn't find any. also, i never messed with the tps position, but what is the correct position its suppose to be in?

i hear the turbo sucking A LOT of air but it just doesn't go

please help someone. i searched through other threads but they talk about water in the tps and i don't have that problem

Well your tps might be fine, what about the connector to it? I had problems with my tps sensor connector. And is the wiring harness stock what upgrades does it have or is it stock? Also you might want to look into your fuel pressure, at idle and when you step on it.

theres no housing for the connectors, but they are plugged on the tps, i think its working fine because when i tried taking it off the car dies, but put it back on it idles fine and my dad check the fuel pressure, he says its fine.

ohh and we got the car to stop dying, now just have to figure out the stall at 3k rpm.

i don't know what the fuel pressure was at, i'll have to ask my dad when he gets home. also, if it helps, the car has been modified by the previous owner, i remember correctly he said he put Crane CAMS, upgraded to a front mount intercooler, added MSD, koyo radiator and some kind of fans

so your saying it could possibly be the injectors, im a noob to this car, im a honda and acura kinda guy. i think the car is running lean because when i check the #1 spark plug the arch was pure white, so maybe im not getting enough fuel??

Deffinately sounds plossible since your jamming alot of air into the cylinders with wider valve openings and your fuel is just barely igniting. Anytime you up your cam and intake your always up your fuel injectors and might have to upgrade the computer but as long as the cam isn't too high your should be fine with bigger injectors.

okay cool thanks, i'll check on getting bigger injectors. also my tps sensor connector only have 2 plugs, which plugs go into which one, because i see 3 spots on the tps. i looked on a 280z fuel injection book online and it says to put it one on the farthest left for the FULL THROTTLE CONTACT POINT and one on the farthest right for IDLE CONTACT POINT. if someone can tell me if thats right or not? also, what is the middle spot for on the tps then?

okay i'll look into that, i think thats it though, because after fixing the head gasket, the plugs were not in the correct spots as stated in the online book and i'll probably have to adjust the tps while im at it. i'll update on what happens after i switch the plugs and adjust the tps

thank you so much texanredneck for all the advice, help, and quick reply

• 1 year later...

hey,whats up guys?I finnally got my 280zxt running.thanks to the information on this site.I had a rough idle between 200 and 800 rpms.It ended pu being my pick up tube on the new dizzy,well replace it, i now have good idle.I still had a problem with the car not wanting to rev past 3000 rpm and it would back fire as well.That ended up being the two groud wires on the ecu.I reach down and move the wires while taking of and the car kicked in driving great.thanks