HybridZ

CONVERTING SCARAB TO JTR?

Guest zfan

OK GUYS I THINK IVE SEEN THE LIGHT! I HAVE A 1971 SCARAB 350 CONVERSION WITH A B/WARNER T-10 4 SPEED. FAST FROG SOLD ME A 700R SO I AM GOING TO INSTALL SHORTLY. WILL HAVE TO SHORTEN DRIVE SHAFT SO MY THOUGHT IS WHY NOT JUST BITE THE BULLET AND CONVERT NOW. SEEING AS MOST OF YOU HAVE THE JTR ALREADY, I WAS HOPING TO GET AS MUCH IMPUT AS POSSIBLE!!!! ANY AND ALL HINTS, SUGGESTIONS, WARNINGS AND OTHER MISC.. WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE.. WILL ALSO BE INSTALLING 200R IN BACK AS CURRENT SET UP IS A 180R WITH 354 GEARS.

THANKS . Z/FAN..MIKE

1st suggestion: Buy a JTR manual and read it about 5 times (it's pretty short). Unfortunately, they are presently out of print.

2nd suggestion: Start way back at the beginning of the Chevy V8 Forum and read all the relavent posts, as well as those in the drivetrain forum.

3rd suggestion: Well you've already done it, but keep on asking questions here!

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

It's really pretty easy. I started out with the Hooker (Scarab) conversion on mine and switched.

You will need both JTR type front motor mount and the trans most likely the mount (but you would need a new one anyway). The driveshaft you have to do anyway. The full length headers won't fit so pick up a set of block huggers (Hookers will work) but there are better ones. Of course you will have to add the necessary exhaust pipe to get to the new headers.

If you use the engine driven fan it will be to far back to be effective so you will have to shroud it or install an electric.

It's really quite easy and you don't even have to remove the engine from the car. I just suspended it with the cherry picker, pushed it back and switched the mounts.

Guest dankinzle

Woo! I'm was also doing this, and I just finished today. It runs quite a bit better now. I'm happy with it. I got a digicam for christmas so i'm going to be making a web page for it...it's actually almost done...just looking for good webspace without all those banners. Anyone know of good free webspace?

Long

Nah, your website is great! Love the pictures too! I need to download it and add it to my V8Z collection. You did a great job and you have the unique (or fairly unique) position of having had a Scarab Z converted to a JTR Z. Cool! I prefer not to make the Scarab mistake at all and go JTR ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!!!!

Congrats on a cool site. All from this forum should peruse it.

smile.gif

David