HybridZ

Which engine is this?

musashin

So I'm planning on buying this 260Z, thing is an amazing deal. The previous owner died in September, and the car is now being sold by his brother. He says his brother was adamant that the engine was from a 280Z. I thought it was interesting that the valve cover says Nissan and not Datsun... I really have no way of knowing, so I figured I'd ask the experts. So which engine is it?

CIMG0956.jpg

CIMG0967.jpg

CIMG0968.jpg

CIMG0969.jpg

CIMG0961.jpg

• Administrators

Without dissasembly, there is no way to be absoulty certain, but you can get an idea by looking at the block stamp. See red circle below...

CIMG09681.jpg

It should say L28 if it came from a 280Z/ZX

Also, the blue circle is the head casting. Might say N42, P90, etc. Use our search function to learn more about that specific head.

It's an L28. You can see the extra holes around the intake mani. The EFI manifold uses a different bolt pattern than the SU manifold. I would also have someone tune those SU's as well. If someone just bolted all this together and dropped it in, it may be running a tad bit lean. Nice looking car btw.

Hmm N42 head on an L26 block could be a possibility. I doubt it, doing so would drop the CR which would be pretty dumb... just an afterthought.

• Administrators
It's an L28. You can see the extra holes around the intake mani. The EFI manifold uses a different bolt pattern than the SU manifold.

Good eye. The gasket is definitely one of those universal CARB/EFI gaskets, though it hard to make out for sure if those holes are actually in the head as well.

round port header, wonder if its a round port head?

def early 240Z carbs and balance tube. pretty damn clean. if its an L28, it should move fairly good, assuming everything is in tune.