HybridZ

building paint booth

mr jdm

we enclosed a car into a garage. we brought the door up 1.5 feet, sealed the 1.5 foot opening with the same moisture barrier plastic and tuck tape, we then sealed the top of the garage where the door curves (when it is open) with the same stuff.

then on the lower seal (1.5 feet high), we cut a small I shaped slit so we could pry back the two flaps it creates, and we shoved a large ventilation fan in there and tuck-taped that to the flaps and it was sealed too.

on the inside of the garage we put a furnace filter or two, and a half-foot wide sewage pipe of sorts from the fan to the back of the garage, and we drilled 3 holes along the entire length to suck in falling paint...

we then had the same tube on the other side of the garage and cut another I shaped hole to have the tube vent out of the garage. We put a filter on the outside of the garage at the end of that tube.

This created a nice draft that sucked air in through the filtered tube without dirt, and sucked out paint and any dirt already in the garage through the side with the fan motor on it.

we let the fan motor go for about 3 or 4 hours on it's own to suck up any dirt before actually painting the car. the filters tell the story quite well, but i'm sorry I don't have pictures =(

If my wife and I ever agree on a house to buy/build, it would have a 3 car garage. I would just partition the third stall off with a tarp/plastic sheeting of some kind ( just for the reason she is bitching about having shop built like a big oversized paint booth). As long as there is suffient air flow, I shouldn't have a problem (hopefully) with vapors. Wetting down the floor and keeping the car/project clean as well as the area you are spraying in, a person should end up with a good paint job. Dont forget about lighting. A person needs to be able to see what he/she paints. Trying to use the "force" only works sometimes. Trust me, I know. As far as guns go, I run a NR 2000 Sata (HVLP) at work. I can personaly say my gun makes less overspray and uses less material (base-clear) than the other painter's RP and Jet 90 (both are made by Sata).

• 2 weeks later...

just pull the water hose in your garage, wet the walls not the celeing. put a fan at the door and block off the rest of the door with some wood. leave the fan on while your spray not after you spray because the overspray will leave dieback and more trash to buff. if you have a back door on your garage put another fan there to pull air in as well. putl some filters on the backs of the fans. the more air movement the better.