HybridZ

Need some help with a 1976 EGR system

rayaapp2

So Im helping a friend out with a 1976 Fairlady Z. Its been Ca registered before but was last registered in Or. We have full history on the car and the car currently has a L28 and was running the L20A EFI system, but we are putting the 76 L28 EFI system on it so we can be sure to get past the Ca Ref. The EGR system was removed in Or, but the CA ref sticker from before says it had a EGR system installed when it was first introduced into Ca so it has to have it again to get past the Ref again.

The only hickup we have is getting the EGR system sorted out. I know most people just pull these systems off and that this info may be hard to get. We have both looked at the FSM for answers and havent found any. I have a copy of the paper schematic for that year in PDF, but its been altered somehow so that some of the diagram is missing. I think someone inserted the wrong scan into the PDF as it mostly lines up but not quite.

Basically we have the EGR valve in place and all the lines hooked up to it. We have a vacuum solenoid mounted to the manifold next to it. Then there is a 4 wire harness that connects to that. The harness goes to a connector that doesnt exist in the Fairlady. We need to find the wire diagram for that. My guess is that it is connected to a relay and some sort of load device and or the Transistorized ignition module like the 74? There is also a temp sensor that the 4 wire harness on the manifold connects to that has to be some sort of thermo time switch?

How does it all hook up? am I missing anything?

Thanks

gimme a manifold casting that you are using, I will see what ive got. I may have a complete manifold I could ship you for a reasonable price, I am in the process of stripping down and scrapping a bunch of EGR intakes from L28Es. Some pics would be nice too.

You know, whatever, if you need bits and pieces, some video of one of these guys, I'm dismantling a pile of scrap. Were I in your shoes, a nice, complete (even if it IS junkyard quality) "example piece" to go by would be a boon; we would have to see what shipping would cost, but all I would get out of the manifold is six questionable injectors, MAYBE some other ancillaries (got ALOT of manifolds, heh.. lots of that stuff getting pitched out of hand) and then the cost of aluminum scrap, so i think 30 bucks plus actual shipping might be doable for a complete mani, If we have it.

Thanks for the offer, but we already have a bunch of manifolds and as I said We have the EGR in place and all the lines in place. So its plumbed up correctly. The engine is a USDM N42 L28 engine and we are using the USDM manifolds from a 11/75 which falls under model year 76 under the USDM. So its all 76 correct no problems there. The Problem is that I cant even tell this car once had an egr system. my guess is that the L20A had no EGR. So the FSM and all the other diagrams are different. The 76 Fairlady Z is similar to the 280z but thats all. The wire harness doesnt swap over to the 280z or vise versa. So we are trying to figure out how to graft it in.