HybridZ

short shifter idea

I really want to put a short shift in my car, for the reason I'M Short and where the shifter sits in my car its getting harder and harder for me to shift cause its basically to much to tall, i keep grabbing the metal part of the shifter, but one of my friends said that it would be pointless? is it really pointless to do this?:icon45:

I just like the idea personally but i just wanted some other opinion's

Edited by Pandora's_Nightmare
forgot to add

• Administrators

For ALL of my L-6 cars and many customers Z cars I have performed this mod below. Hardest part is keeping the dril straight and not breakig the tap. :wink:

1) Remove the shift lever from the car, measure approx 2" down from the base of the threads, (where the threads start off the shift lever), and mark there. 3" is is also OK but quite extreme.

2) With the shift lever in a vice, cut the shift lever with a hack saw cut as square as you can.

3) Now as careful as you can, drill and tap down through the top of the shift lever. Thread size is 8x1.25 mm.

4) Then install an exhaust stud from the Datsun 6 cylinder and thread the shift knob back on. Wa-la, shorter shifter that feels more natural, even for tall guys. :wink:

Hope that helps,

Paul

Edited by BRAAP

Why not just thread the outside of the shift lever like it was originally?

Is the shifter much stiffer then stock? I drove a gt500 yesterday with a 6 speed, it had a really short shifter lever and it felt amazing, alot nicer then the datsun's...

• Administrators
Why not just thread the outside of the shift lever like it was originally?

Having done both, I assure you that the method I outlined above is a much nicer, easier, professional approach/alternative. :wink:

I tried the grind down and die method for my first one, and what a bubba hack job that turned out to be!clown.gif I will NEVER do that again!

Cut, drill, tap, stud, DONE!

trying to grind down a shifter rod so that it's 8mm wide and then trying to tap it after it is most likely not ground down in a perfect cylindrical shape unless done on a lathe is way harder to do than to drill a hole (which always comes out circular if you can eye-line a drill bit) and stud and then thread onto.

I vote for the BRAAP-Shifter Deluxe.

Plus, if you use a left over 12.9 hardness stud or an ARP exhaust manifold stud, you will have quite some trouble trying to break that sucker.