HybridZ

Old question, new asker

Guest Craig280z

Guest Craig280z

I think I'm going to put a 350 in my 78 280z. I ordered the JTR book today.

I would like to use the LT1 but I don't think, no I know I don't have the budget for it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on using the old style 350 with a carbeurator and an automatic transmission? If I use a T350 transmission, what kind of rear end do I need and what RPM at 70mph can I expect? What kind of vehicle is best to look for as a donor? I want A/C too icon_smile.gif

As far as engine goes, I'm thinking nothing really outrageous. Maybe a mild cam and good heads. Headers and flowmaster exhaust. I expect to rebuild the engine myself.

Thanks,

Craig

Welcome Craig

I'm sure the group will chime in quickly.

I will be running a TH400 but freeway speeds are not an issue. A general finding by the gang here is go with an OD. A mid 80's Caprice with a 350 and 200R4 or 700R4 will get you the engine/tranny package and all the AC stuff you need. (the Caprice probably saw an easier life than a Camaro or truck engine)

Look into the "big and ugly" cars for lower mile engine/tranny packages.

Unfortunately the donors cars I have suggested typically have the less desirable heads, but get the package swap some heads and cam and you got a good starting point.

Smog laws a consideration?

Just one of many opinions your sure to get

Larry

Guest Craig280z

Hey Larry,

Thanks for the advice.

No emmision inspections in Alabama.

On the tranny, I have heard that the 700R4 transmission, pre 88, is not a good one to get. That if I wanted a 700R4, to get one made after 1988. I'm not sure why...

The caprice has iron heads correct? Won't this produce more horsepower than the aluminum heads? If so, is it enough to offset the weight difference? I guess the weight difference is factor enough in order to keep the handling performance of the car?

What is the difference between the 200R4 and 700R4? I had a 700R4 in my full size GMC Jimmy...

Thanks

Craig

quote:

Originally posted by Craig280z:

The caprice has iron heads correct? Won't this produce more horsepower than the aluminum heads? If so, is it enough to offset the weight difference? I guess the weight difference is factor enough in order to keep the handling performance of the car?

Craig, the aluminum ones are usually a (much) better design than the stock cast iron ones, so they will make more power. But, all things being equal, I have heard cast iron is better then aluminum. Even if it is, just about anything is better than stock. The 700R4 is more common and larger than the 200R4. Scottie GNZ runs a 200R4 in his V6 turbo Z, and Dave Booth runs a 700R4 in his ZZ4 V8 powered Z. Both are "good" trannies and either will fit the Z.

Davy

For $1500 the LT1 is a steal and it's coming from a reliable source. It'll get better mileage and be more streetable IMO. Myron, for everyone's information that engine comes with the computer, yes?

Davy

Craig, I have stong running LT1 for sale for 1500.00 complete with computer and all the accessories including the A/C.. By the time you scrounge a donor and go through the whole process of rebuilding it to a

good 300 hp you may want to consider an LT1..

I got one ready to go for 1500.00

Myron

Guest Anonymous

At 70 you'll have a HARD time with the t350 trans. go for the 700r4, and I believe that as long as it's rebuilt to HiPo standards with corvette servos etc. the old ones are as good as the new, but only if....

The LT1 deal above sounds goood, but you can build a nice carb engine and be very happy.

DO NOT (and I repeat)DO NOT use the r180 differencial for very long if that's what's in your car now. I know people use them, but mine went out and left precipitation from every oriface I have in various corners of the driving compartment.

WW∞ ZwebBUT.gif