HybridZ

Big friggin' gas tanks....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

YEEARGH! I have a '72 240 Z with a miniscule gas tank, and what's worse is that I have a massive leak! All around the back seals, it just pours for almost a quarter of a tank as soon as I start driving after refueling, and even during refueling sometimes.

My Z gets about 10 mph out of a 327, and a 12-ish gallon gas tank just wouldn't cut it, even if it didn't leak. Does anybody know if I could get a 20+ gallon tank for my car? Or maybe get one custom made?

[This message has been edited by The Fabulous Lungfish (edited February 24, 2001).]

TFL, 10 mpg?? I'd check the state of tune on your motor/ compatibility of components. Unless you have really low gearing a 3 or 4 speed and huge cam, it should get better. Even the big bad nasty 383s here get way better milage. Check the archives/search for fuel cell posts. Ought to be plenty of them.

By the way, welcome to the site.

JS

"The Fabulous Lungfish???" Well, it's better then "The Incredible Mr. Limpet" smile.gif

Mike Kelly's site has a write up on a bigger gas tank, so you'll want to check that out. I think his is 22gal or bigger if I remember correctly. Also, I agree with the gas mileage assessment above; you should be getting better mileage with your current setup. Since you're on the web, go to Summit Racing--they have many size tanks in stock at good prices.

David

I took a peek at Mike's tank - it fits in there well. I looked around a bit for a bigger tank before getting my 12 from Triangle - at the time it didn't look like a bigger tank would leave room for mufflers. Seems Mike found out otherwise! On top fo that his tank has a steel "safe" aorund it and a bladder, probably foam too. MUCH safer than stock or my current tank for that matter! I may upgrade down the road - I think Mike's got the right idea on this one but I'm waiting to see how he does the rear fill smile.gif My chassis guys didn't think it would work out and Mike's filler si right where mine is now. If he gets it working that's an upgrade I will have to do - fill from behind the license tag smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

John, you hit my mileage problems right on the nose all the way around. My gearing setup is 3.73 rear end with a high-geared manual fourspeed and a high-lift cam. It's got balls, but at the same time one hell of an appetite. that, and the 10 mpg is not completely accurate, seeing as I lose about a quarter of a tank just from leaking.

I do also have to work on tuning as well. A "friend" of mine found a beautiful way for shooting flames out of my carbureator, and it hasn't been the same since. thank you all for your suggestions, I'll look into them. Ü

Not to be a mother hen, but driving around with a fuel leak is pretty dangerous, especially if the car backfires through the exhaust.

That backfire your friend helped with through the carb might have blown out the power valve - if it's a Holley carb. Holley and Spectre make a simple to install check valve to keep that from happening. Of course, you'll need a new check valve too. This is really common on the older Holley's that didn't have this check valve in them from the factory (like the newer ones do).

Good Luck,

Pete