HybridZ

removing paint

mr jdm

As soon as my car gets back from my friends shop after having a rocker panel changed, im going to start the body work on it. I have been doing a lot of reading and pretty much know or think I know what im going to do in the right steps.

The only question I have is since my paint on my car is in pretty good shape and is the original paint job, I just want to strip the paint off and leave the original primer. If I were going to use a DA sander to strip it, should I use a 80 grit or 180 grit sandpaper to get the paint off and not go to bare metal?

youcan't acuratelyu remove only the paint and leave the pimer, you cna try but you'll be better off just sanding the whole car (and if it's only one coat of the ritgional car you cna actually just paint on top of it after sanding) trying to sand the car and nto getting to metal is nearly impossible, just plan to prime the car

Hit it with 80 and drop down to 120 over the 80. Work sections at a time and and dont try to do the whole car with 80 then the whole car again with 120. If your paint is good, you dont wanna take it down to pimer only cause its almost impossible. Just really have to rough up the surface a bit the reprimer.

I had my car soda blasted. Cost me $800. Well worth it. The metal looks like new. Some of the parts like the hood look like they just popped out of the press. My car had 3 paint jobs on it, so this was a huge time saver.

Pete

I had my car soda blasted. Cost me $800. Well worth it. The metal looks like new. Some of the parts like the hood look like they just popped out of the press. My car had 3 paint jobs on it, so this was a huge time saver.

Pete

Good to know. I've been thinking of going this route once I am ready.