HybridZ

A seat that sits lower than stock?

The Infidel

(First off, I searched but came across nothing substantial)

Im a big guy and Id like to increase the cabin size much as I can. I currently have some type of OEM Honda seats in my 240z. Which look nice but are very think both top and bottom. My Datsun is a weekend car, not an enduro race car. I dont need a big ass pad. :burnout:

If I could find seats that are the same size or smaller as the stock seats in base size without going into the aftermarket world Id be happy. I dont want people looking in my car and seeing some fancy ass seats that could peak their interest to what could be under the hood.

I was planing on Maita seats but Ive noted a few people said they sit higher to stock. Is there any merit to that claim? Also was looking into 911 seats but I do know I dont want power bases and they are a bit costly. Or I could just use stock seats if i could find any in my area. So what do you gentlemen say? Help a big guy out.

Your best bet might be to consider removing the seat frames attached to the floor panels. You could weld in reinforcement plates and attach the seat nearly on the floor using through bolts. In my 240Z, I have the Miata seats and they do sit you up higher. I used 1" spacers on the rear to reduce some of the bucket effect too. Again, the seat frames could have been modified to lower my seats but it worked out well for me at 5'10".

I'm pretty sure CRX seats will go in with little to no modification. Heh, if you want, I actually have a spare CRX driver's seat. Getting out of either of my ZXs and into that little Honda is a mind trip. Feels like I'm sitting on the damn ground. I'm almost positive that the CRX seats are some of the thinnest and most value engineered things you're allowed to park your ass on. But, yeah. Seat's just taking up space in my garage that I could be using for more Z parts... :D

The Miata seat does have a pan that sits rather low between the rails. I'm not sure how close to the floor you'll get them but it should be an inch or two lower. I don't want to pull mine back out to check as it's kinda a PITA. I'll try to measure it this evening.

The Miata seat does have a pan that sits rather low between the rails. I'm not sure how close to the floor you'll get them but it should be an inch or two lower. I don't want to pull mine back out to check as it's kinda a PITA. I'll try to measure it this evening.

thank you sir!

I was planing on Maita seats but Ive noted a few people said they sit higher to stock. Is there any merit to that claim?

In my opinion, I think some people may be comparing a worn out stock seat to a newer Miata seat and then thinking they sit higher. It also depends on the year of the Miata seat because there are differences. I think some of the early seats require that you cut the seat pan to get them to fit right. I've got some for sale in the classifieds with Z rails mounted. They are out of the car. PM me if you need any specific pictures.

I just went through the exercise of putting RX7 seats in my Z.

I think your best bet with any new seats is cutting down the datsun seat mounts.

I found that my seat mounts were roughly 110mm high at the front, this is fine with the datsun seats as they have no bottom (They have a spring bottom rather then a fibreglassed buttom like a lot of newer seats) so you sink down into them.

I ended up making new mounts out of 40x40mm box section to get my seats to sit like factory (even a bit lower now).

Here is some info on mounts if your interested.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=148599