HybridZ

hks turbo exhaust on a (currently) l28e?

iheartz

ok, i purchased a hks universal carbon titanium exhaust muffler 6 years ago. and never mounted it to anything...

im tired of this exhaust leak i have. there is a slit in the pipe directly under neath the driver seat of the s30... figured i'd pipe it up properly (cat delete) to the muffler anticipating a le28et soon to come...

(i know this is another topic that has been beat into the dirt, sorry)

but i think my question is slightly different. the mufflers inlet is 3".

1.think i'll be able to temporarily pipe a 2.5 or 2.25 to the 3" hks and still get the necessary back pressure? or will the hks sserve just as equally as a 3" pipe?

piping up the exhaust now would be strictly for looks, and to clear up space in the house... but depending on my budget, i might have a le28et ready for august.

thanks.

you will be fine using a reducer to go from your current exh diameter into your muffler.

By the way, backpressure is, was, and always will be BAD. You do not want any backpressure in your exhaust system if at all possible. I don't really want to get into the details of it, but exhaust velocity is what you want, backpressure is just the negative byproduct.

• 1 month later...

By the way, backpressure is, was, and always will be BAD. You do not want any backpressure in your exhaust system if at all possible. I don't really want to get into the details of it, but exhaust velocity is what you want, backpressure is just the negative byproduct.

Not true on an N/A car, you need some back pressure in your exhaust system, on a TURBO car you want the minimum amount of backpressure after the turbo for higher hp, but the the exhaust manifold to turbo gives you enough back pressure to keep your motor happy.

so

N/A needs some backpressure

TURBO you want the least backpressure possible after the turbo as possible.

at least in all my years thats the way it's been.

Not true on an N/A car, you need some back pressure in your exhaust system, on a TURBO car you want the minimum amount of backpressure after the turbo for higher hp, but the the exhaust manifold to turbo gives you enough back pressure to keep your motor happy.

so

N/A needs some backpressure

TURBO you want the least backpressure possible after the turbo as possible.

at least in all my years thats the way it's been.

And for as many years as it's been that way for you, it has been a misconception. I imagine it runs back past the muscle car era. See the z31 boys' view on backpressure here:

http://www.z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13866&hilit=backpressure