HybridZ

I might have to stop the part out of my 76 turbo

pallnet

Well as the title says, the Z might be saved. My mother has been raising my nephew since he was 8 years old and now he's 17. I used to take him to Z meets and just cruising around, he's always loved the Z. I told him that I would give it to him under some strict conditions.

1) I will finish removing all of the performance parts and continue selling them but I will also help him locate stock replacements (He's just getting into the work force so he's low on funding.)

2) He will learn to do all of the work but I will help him learn it all including welding because there is some rust on this car that needs to be addressed.

3) This is the most important, the car will get a bone stock Nissan 4 cylinder setup. Yeah I know to some of you that sounds funny coming from me but It will be a right of passage for him. I told him that if he can drive the car for a year without killing himself, killing the car or doing something stupid to lose his license then we will put a 6 or 8 cylinder in it.

There are a few other conditions but they have to do with respecting other people and just doing the right things in life, morals..

I need some help. I am looking at a KA or a naps Z engine setup. I'm open to ideas of motor setups and suggestions. The car will not be getting any expencive or powerful setup at this point.

Thanks fellas.

pallnet

This is a great Idea, My parents did the same for me started out with a 4 cylinder pos that had no radio and was not sporty in any way shape or form, i put it in the ditch 4 times. then i had a v8 land yacht that had lost all its legs and was worming its way to its grave.

Then the skys parted and i got my two 280z's, i had to buy them myself and i do all the work, i respect my cars, have yet to put them in the ditch. in short i love my cars and will take care of them. Nothing upsets me more than someone not taking care of their car because mommy and daddy will make it all better for them.

this is the greatest way to make young drivers, good drivers

Sounds like a plan to me. My parents were kinda along those same lines and I can tell it worked like a charm. They said, "So, you're gonna be 16 soon...want a car??" Me.." YES!" They responded with, " Then get a job."

Haha. I drove a '92 Camry around for 6 months before getting my first Z. Haven't gotten into an accident (or a ditch) yet! *Knocks on wood*

The bone stock KA, makes just shy of 10 hp less then the L28E (if comparing stock rebuilt engines). Minus the power steering pump, I believe its about the same, but lighter.

If you want to find a 4 banger engine for, as you described, I suggest a CA20E.

My first car was a 72 Ranchero with a 351 Clevland. I rebuilt the engine, installed a 4BBL intake and carb, drove it around the block once with my Dad...then sold it. He said it had too much power. So I used the cash from that and bought my 77 Z. He thought a six cylinder would be better then a big V8. I know i'm gonna get it for this...but why not leave the stock six cylinder in it? They don't make that much power stock. I got mine when I turned 16, have had it for almost 13 years and haven't wrecked or ditched it yet. And I think I take more chances now then I did when I was young. If you want to give him a low HP four cylinder get him a 1995 Honda civic station wagon, put the Z in the garage and let him build a nice N/A engine (should take him a couple years) and by then he will be good to go. Im sure no one will agree, just my thinking.

My first car was a 72 Ranchero with a 351 Clevland. I rebuilt the engine, installed a 4BBL intake and carb, drove it around the block once with my Dad...then sold it. He said it had too much power. So I used the cash from that and bought my 77 Z. He thought a six cylinder would be better then a big V8. I know i'm gonna get it for this...but why not leave the stock six cylinder in it? They don't make that much power stock. I got mine when I turned 16, have had it for almost 13 years and haven't wrecked or ditched it yet. And I think I take more chances now then I did when I was young. If you want to give him a low HP four cylinder get him a 1995 Honda civic station wagon, put the Z in the garage and let him build a nice N/A engine (should take him a couple years) and by then he will be good to go. Im sure no one will agree, just my thinking.

I agree with just keeping it stock. converting to any other engine is just added work for what is needed.

I don't agree with another car, because its just another add expense.

easy, just put a stock L-28 back in the car, if you feel it would be too much power for him, adjust the throttle linkage so the thing never sees full throttle, you could also put an aftermarket ignition box with a rev limiter on it and set it to something like 4K, a friend did this with his '78 turbo car when his son would drive it, worked like a charm. A KA swap would be going through a lot of work just to change it back later IMO, plus they are not a whole lot less powerful than a stock L-28.

I have to commend your attitude towards introducing a younger family sibling to Z's and safe driving. I'd also like to agree with AK-Z and Chris240zTurbo in that keeping it stock would save the most time and hassle. Adjusting the throttle linkage, which my friend's dad did for his son, or having a rev limiter sounds like the most practical means of slowing the car. I mean allot of people still forgo swapping SR20's in their 240SX's and go drifting with their KA's.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. We took some time to really look at the car and as much as he wants to learn to weld and build a car, this might be a little too much for him to deal with right out of the gate. Even though he loves the Z and we both have wonderful memories of the times we went out cruising to meets and just cruising around town, he said he would like to get somethign that he can start driving right away. His heart bleeds nissan though so he wants a 240SX with about the same plans we had for the Z, run a 4 cylinder for a year and then 6 cylinder turbo after that. Since I have a few

L28ET's you can bet there will most likely be another fun 240SX running around here in a year.

Keeping my fingers crossed, I hope to locate another cheap 240SX body so that I can do another swap for myself.

Thanks

pallnet