HybridZ

1979 280zx

A few weeks ago I purchased my first Z!! 1979, n/a, 280zx. Body has some rust spots & bubbles, but is in GREAT condition for a Michigan car. So far, I have only replaced the windshield, which was cracked about a foot long on the bottom passenger side, and also leaked when it rains... :( Sad to say, it still leaks, so I need to take her back in and get the problem fixed... Again. I am going to be putting in a new clutch (the one I have now is slipping..), new exhaust (which is rotting out), new muffler, new U-Joints, rebuilding the fuel injectors, and new tires. Hopefully all this summer. If anyone has any helpful hints in finding good deals or great parts, it'd be greatly appreciated! My main concerns now are the u-joints, clutch kit, and muffler/exhaust. Would LOVE to chat about these cars! My father had one (not running) about 6 or 7 years ago. I've wanted one since, and finally bought one! Wohoo!:) Better pictures soon!

z 016_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard!!! I also have a '79 and I love it. I got my clutch kit for less than $100 from schucks but it's nothing fancy. I bought it knowing that later I would building a BW t-5 transmission and just wanted this one to hold up 'til then. Make sure you check up on your fluids as in the master and slave cylinders for the trans. these may have to be replaced along with the clutch pressure plate etc... Also Be sure to follow the FSM in relation to what type and weight of gear oil you are running in the transmission as the have a tendancy to whine when we use too light weight of oil. There is my $.02. Good lookin car! What kind of seats are those?

Jason

Check for rust issues at the roof junction of the windshield before installing another glass. Very common in these cars, but then again what do you expect from a 30 yr old car. I feel real lucky living in SF Bay Area with 18 Pick N Pulls, 2 Pick Ur Parts all within driving distance. And lots of Z's of all types.

Renatodato. Thank you for the advice! They said there were not any holes and they cleaned up all rust, but maybe something went awry. And yes, you are VERY lucky to be in SF, there are very few Z's around here, and the ones that ARE, all have rust issues. Darn salt/snow! :( Smokescreen: Glad to know someone else digs the '79 :). I'm planning on getting an RB26 in my car, but that is very far from what I have the means to do with her right now. Thank you for the advice, I'll make sure to check all of that out! I do have a bit of a ticking when she's running, and I've come to find out that it was the fuel injectors, which I can get rebuilt for a pretty good price! ($12 each injector.) I'll look on the seats, I honestly cannot say offhand what they are since I have not checked. When I bought her, the guy had the original seats, but the previous owner had installed racing seats. I decided to stick with those. Now for the harnesses... :)

Welcome aboard, I also have a 79. Yeah, windshield and rear hatch are big leakers. My solution for the rear hatch is to weld it shut. Right now I'm working on hinges and latch so that I can open the window and I'm cleaning the edges of the hatch so I can weld it.

Good luck with your "new" old car.

Freakshow- I'm the third owner of the car, the previous owners were both in Michigan, to my knowledge. It's in pretty good condition. There are some bubbles, and some rust on the bottom, but it's original paint. It really is in great shape for a Michigan car though. Oh, and I paid 1,500 for her. ckolander - I haven't found any problems with the rear hatch yet, except for the louvers being too heavy for the rear hatch to stay propped up when I open it. Not much of an issue for me, I can work around it. Islanddozer- Thanks for the link, I will check it in the am! I assure you, even with all the work, this car brings me nothing but joy!

• 3 weeks later...
A few weeks ago I purchased my first Z!! 1979, n/a, 280zx. Body has some rust spots & bubbles, but is in GREAT condition for a Michigan car. So far, I have only replaced the windshield, which was cracked about a foot long on the bottom passenger side, and also leaked when it rains... :( Sad to say, it still leaks, so I need to take her back in and get the problem fixed... Again. I am going to be putting in a new clutch (the one I have now is slipping..), new exhaust (which is rotting out), new muffler, new U-Joints, rebuilding the fuel injectors, and new tires. Hopefully all this summer. If anyone has any helpful hints in finding good deals or great parts, it'd be greatly appreciated! My main concerns now are the u-joints, clutch kit, and muffler/exhaust. Would LOVE to chat about these cars! My father had one (not running) about 6 or 7 years ago. I've wanted one since, and finally bought one! Wohoo!:) Better pictures soon!

Congrats on your car. I'm working on a 79 as well.

Do you plan on rebuilding your injectors yourself? If so, How do you do that?

My car has a fuel delivery problem, and factory injectors at the dealer are $115 each. I need a more reasonable solution to this.