HybridZ

Need info quick

Guest iamjackal

Guest iamjackal

Found a really sarp rust free 81 280Z or Zx im not sure but I need to know.Anyway I thought the zxs had 4 wheel discz.this does not its drums.Body has louvres over the rearwindshield and side windows. Its running and looks good for only 800.I gave him $100 and told him Id be back next weekend to buy it.Anyway can I use the JTR mounts in this car? What model is it? Will I get the 3inch setback.There is no power steering so that clearanceing is no problem but I wanna get that weight back.Does anyone have an 81 V-8 S on the board.-Sorry such dumb questions but Im baffled about what model it is.

Thanks much guys

I had an 81 (GL model) not that long ago. Yes, 4 wheel disc brakes were standard. The louvers are aftermarket. Sorry but I am not sure about the JTR mounts, my gut feeling is that they would have to be modified slightly to fit the zx's.

Drax240z

Guest iamjackal

Strange then is it an older model than the 81.He says its an 81 but he just got it and didnt know much.I wonder why it has drums in the rear if its supposedly an 81.The badges were gone so I couldnt make anything of that.The interior was bit rough but I did see the 280zx badge in the shifter console.So I wonder what year it really is.Also 5 speed went into gear okay but it was not crisp.The stick had tons of play.You never thought it was in gear but it was.sounded fine but obnviously somethings wrong.I guess with nearly 200,000miles thats to be expected.But im gonna drive it as I build my motor.What could it be wrong?Thanks much

There should be a production date stamped on the door. It sounds like it is a Z and Not a ZX. If it is, that would make it a 78 or older. Make sure you compare the VIN number on the title to those on the firewall next to the brake booster, and on the panel rivited on the drivers side dash board. To my knowledge ALL ZXs came with disc brakes.

Hope this helps.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Locutus

Yea My 79 280 ZX has 4 wheel disc brakes. I thought they did make a 79 280Z also didn't they? I could be wrong on that one. I checked the haynes manual I have on the ZX and they only show the 4 wheel disc brakes. So I am pretty sure mike is right on that.

PS btw On a ZX we found that the firewall is 3 inches closer than a Z. The jtr offset is 3 inches so basically you installing the engine directly over the orginal mounting horns. Now some people think this might cause the car to be front heavy, but I think the ZX is heavier in the rear. Epsecially a 2+2.

[This message has been edited by Locutus (edited April 17, 2000).]

Guest iamjackal

Thanks guys i guess i will figure it out when I get there myself cause the guy is a bit less than helpful.He is justsure its a 81.thanks very much for your help though guys.It will help figure things out.Anyway I think its worth it just for the chasis alone.I hope so.