HybridZ

350 vs. 383: 400hp, street-ability, & price

Guest Neil

Talked to the fine employees at Redline performance where my car has lived since i bought it over a month ago. Anyway, my circumstances keep changing. I was going to buy a SVX, but I could't get it for the right price. So now I'm going to dump all that money into my Z. And if i can get it to a point where it we be dependable, I'm considering selling my "work car" for extra cash to finance further upgrades.

First on the list is new suspension and brakes. Next would be the engine. I've been reading up on engines and have discussed it w/ Redline Perfomance. In comparing a 350 vs. a 383, which would be the best route when looking at street-ability/dependability, a goal of 400hp, and price? I had read that it would be harder to cool a 350 w/ 400hp than a 383. I would also imagine it would cost more to make a 350 have 400hp. Just a guess though. Anyway, you guys always give good advice and have educated oppinions and i'd apprecite them both on this matter. Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

Cooling isn't that big a deal with either engine if you use a aftermarket aluminum raditor (or the Camaro one that JTR suggest), use a good aftermarket or OEM electric fan and its just not an issue anymore. Expense is about the same, the stroker will actually probably cost a bit more all things equal. 400hp our of a 350 is just not that hard to do anymore. Good heads, a cam like the 270h magnum comp cams (if your talking hydraulic flat tappet) a little under 10/1 compression and your there. The 383 will mask the lopey cam a bit better due to displacement and stroke, but the formula is nearly the same. The torque will be higher with the 383 due to stroke, but either will sling the car down the road real good IMHO.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Night_rider_383

Well i dont think i can add much to lone's post, but i will say cooling dont worry bout that unless you go with a large over bore like .060'' over. Both 350 and 383 will run bout the same temp. The 383 will bump the price up some but you'll have a stronger, faster engine. Cause with the 350 and 383 both at 400 hp at the same rpm the 383 will have more torque cause of the stroke lenght and torque is what we feel in the "seat of our pants" not so much horsepower

Guest Anonymous

Hey man, I personally would suggest going with the 383.. In reality all it is, is a 350 bored and stroked but, the power advantage over a stock 350 is fairly decent. I think your goal of 400 horses is easier reachable. Go fo the 383. better torque, better power, cooling it shouldnt really be that different from a stock 350, or at least, never has it been in any of my experiences.