HybridZ

Wiring & Add on questions

Guest zfan

Ok guys I've added a holley fuel pump, Taurus electric fan, stereo, 700R4 and on and on. All need to be wired and Im not comfortable with the Z fuse box and wiring or should I say piggybacking off fuse box.

How has everyone else wired their add ons. Im no electrical wizard so would appreciate any imput. My Z budget is tight now as I have already decided to upgrade brakes.

Right now I have 5 lines tied in, yikes..

Thanks, Mike

I have not done any specific wiring on the Z other than gutting and re-wiring, but with that in mind I'll offer up an idea, and freely accept any flaming. Could you not parallel another (i.e salvage) fuse box to the source wire going the the original box (using a large gauge wire of course). then you could dedicate the new fuse box to whatever add-ons you wished to put on it. If the original feed wire to the original fuse box is restrictive in size (IMHO it is not big enough if it is 10awg or smaller) then run another parallel wire off the battery to feed the box directly (inline fuse highly recommended with this). No is the time to chime in here guys.

Heh, ask relay man - i mean Pete smile.gif

Seriously, I'd use a relay on the fan and on the fuel pump. Anything else that's switched and draws a heavy load I'd consider using relays for too - stereo amps for instance but not th ehead unit. Do the headlights while you're at it - the difference in intensity will surprise you I promise and really take a load off the harness.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fast Frog

Mike:

I've an elect fan, stereo with a bazooka sub woofer, and FI, etc. and I'm not running anything diff from or too my fuse box. Only thing diff is that I'm running a 65 amp alternator.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited April 06, 2001).]

Terry, on the 240Z, it is a 10AWG wire coming into the car from the alternator, and that goes to AMP gage and the fuse box.

But if you start taking load off of the stock fuse box by using relays for the headlights and getting the power from the alternator directly, then you save some current capability int the fuse box.

I'd rather run an 8AWG wire from the battery or Alternator (which ever is closer to what I'm feeding) and put a relay in line.