HybridZ

Blower fan upgrades (Owen?)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Are you the Owen who posted about a CRX heater blower fan used in a Z car? If so, where did this information or idea come from? Is it inspired by a good fit or just an idea being thrown around?

Anyone got any blower/heater fan mods they did so that the Z car system actually moves some air? It could stand a turbo boost!

Craig

Are YOU the Craig I bought that manual on CDROM from? J/K.

Yes I am the same...I don't remember how that started, it was just one of the things on my list and I guess I searched for it. I was thinking about the same motor cuz I have a CRX right now. The guy and some others replied with some part numbers and prices.

I ripped out the center console too so I need to figure out somewhere to mount the controls. I don;t really care though, I just want heat to blow on my windshield to defrost it. The rest of the car will gradually warm up....from the heat from the floor!

I also plan to look at taking my turn signal/wiper switches off the CRX too, once I see how they are mounted.

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

I put a Ford full size 1985 LTD blower fan in the 240Z housing - it took some cobbling to do it. But it puts out about 3 times as much air! Sorry, no documentation on it.

I did it in hopes of pulling enough air through the dealer-installed style evaporator core to make the A/C actually work. I'll know this Summer.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

quote:

Originally posted by pparaska:

...I put a Ford full size 1985 LTD blower fan in the 240Z housing...took some cobbling...puts out 3 times as much air!

Pete-miester!

Please elaborate; How much 'cobbling' did it take. Do you know if the 240Z housing is same/identical to a 280Z housing. Only parts modified is the housing/or was there some electrical as well besides 12v & ground wires to the motor?

I too am jealous when I see another car in traffic & their blower motor (Texas Summer:A/C) is blowing their hair backwards & myself-with my A/C on & beads of sweat are rolling down the back of my neck simply because there are no vents in the rear. My A/C is quite cold....at the vents; but doesnt do much for the rear of the car-Where the 'Sun Shines In' as the 'Floor Heats Up' & I get cooked liked a piece of toast in the middle where the heat of the hot roof & the even hotter floor meet in the middle; okay-I'm rambling now; and no-I dont have the louvers for the rear hatch; should probably buy them.

Very Interested Inliner here-awaiting your response Pete-ster!

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

Yeah, Pete! What's involved? I seem to remember your saying somewhere that you just had to cut a bigger hole in the blower housing to get the larger fan through. Is that right? I'd LOVE to have adequite A/C in a Z car. To me, that's always been a first-generation car's only true failing.

As long as we're talking about staying cool, does anyone out there have opinions on the best compressor to use? I've got a late-style compressor, and I've heard that the older A6 compressors (the ones that are about a foot long and 8 inches in diameter) work really, really well, but they eat up a lot of HP while they do it.

So are there any early Z-owners out there who can hang meat in their cars? (That sounds bad, but you know what I mean!!)

Scott Ferguson

1974 260-Z - NOT looking forward to 105+ Texas weather!!!!

[Errr... Tried to responde last night - typed up a description and when I hit Submit, the site was down! Grumble]

O.k. here goes on how I did the "cobble". (I bet you're getting a glimpse of why this car project has taken so long - as I put the thing back together from stock, every system that isn't to my liking, within reason, gets modified.)

Anyway, you have to offset the fan a bit in the housing to get it to fit. In other words, the axis of the fan is moved over towards the outlet duct. The fan squirrel cage is also larger in diameter and depth, so you need to open the hole it fits into and space it off of the mounting surface in the case as well.

Since the axis is moved over, the lip that leads to the inlet of the cage down inside the box interferes with the Ford fan. I bent the lip flat and then made an insert out of sheet metal that had a lip of the correct diameter and tack welded it into the case. This lip serves as a duct to keep the outlet air from the squirrel cage from re-entering the inlet (center) of the cage. It's maybe 1/4" tall.

Since the cage is taller, I had to space the mounting flange of the Ford fan off of the mounting surface of the case using a few nuts welded together and onto the surface. Then I sealed the opening between the flange and surface with some heater hose.

For the electrics, yes, it draws more amperage - I think it's 6 amps on high. Since the draw is larger and the resistance is different than the 240Z fan, I had to make a new nichrome wire wound resistor to replace the OE one in the blower housing. I think I used 19 gage nichrome wire, with about 1/2 ohm and 1 ohm resistance for the medium and low speeds, respectively. Then I have each speed controlled by relays using the OE switch, with larger wire (12 gage) for the power parts of the circuit, and a new power tap to feed the fan positive and ground.

Yeah, overkill again, but it REALLY blows through the vents and sucks through the evaporator box really well. I'm confident the A/C will rock in this puppy.

BTW, I got the Ford fan idea from a guy in the VA Z car club, Mike Ruiz.

Pete, thanks for taking time to post all that information...twice! wink.gif I'll change mine out eventually for something better, but it would be great to do it with a little less cobbling. No offense! I'm sure the Ford unit is great, but..oh what the heck, I'll look at one in the junk yard and see if it fits. Thanks again for the info.

David

Heh, I just found out there's a VintageAir dealer dealer within blocks of my house! I think I might know where my blower upgrade and A/C will be coming from smile.gif Okay, I'm a wimp and it won't be cheap but I'll take the easy way any day...