HybridZ

Blower motor upgrade info

Drax240z

Just came accross this at zcar.com.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=182189&t=182189

Sounds like a heck of an idea to me, I'm off to the wreckers tomorrow!

------------------

"Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like a great idea to me Drax. I have spent many a cold morning waiting for what seems like hours for the windshield in my Z to defrost.

Yea; sounds like you might be on to something.

I could definately use an upgrade on the blower motor. In the winter (N.Tx for me so you Northerners probably have it worse) My windshield, once it finally defrosts, will never completely defrosts as I'm driving down the road-You have to heat up the compartment so much to keep the windshield clear I get too hot myself-pain in the butooski!

I would still prefer a blower motor that really packs a wallup-if one of those Honda motor's arent that strong-then I'll probably do what Paraska did on his & use a Ford blwr mtr; however, I dont want to chop my housing up if I dont have to....so, Happy Hunting Richard-hope you find a better quality/high speed blower mtr that is a drop in for the Z.

BTW; while you're at the salvage yard-you can ask the guy behind the counter to check their cross reference book & they can tell you what vehicles used that blower motor-might save you some time; you dont want to spend a lot of time ripping out a blower motor just to find out it was the exact same one you already looked at from a previous car.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

[This message has been edited by Kevin Shasteen (edited April 16, 2001).]

Thank you Drax for posting that information! Should be a very good upgrade that I will definitely pursue. If the information is inaccurate, please let us know, but this sounds like a good thing. I enjoy the idea of not having to mangle the housing or anything else.

Just FWIW, I've always loved my 280ZX blower/heater core (as stock system). In Edmonton it's first few years I had heat v. fast (quicker than any of our other vehicles) and defrosting was never a problem. This was in -30 C winter cold spells (-22F). I know some 240Z V8's a few years back blew their heater cores and narrowed it down to excess coolant pressure as a result of their V8 setups. Hadn't recalled that for a while. I'd planned to put a restrictor on my system but yet to do so. I'd hate to replace a heater core. The s10 manual by JTR details a PN or one could just make their own restriction in the block at heater hose outlet or in a hose junction.

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

That's interesting Ross. I hope the new core I put in holds up. Let us know if you find that PN.

I tried a 280ZX fan motor with the 240Z cage (the fan "blade" part) in a 240Z box. I was underwelmed, to say the least. Not sure why it turned out like that, but the position of the fan relative to the wall of the box has alot to do with output, as well as the seal at the input of the cage in the center of the cage.

Guest Anonymous

Mine has its own built in restrictor. A semi pinched hose because of the use of non-molded hoses like Datsun used, and the way it needs to make a sharp turn after coming in the firewall. smile.gif

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Yes sir, I'd be interested in the part number of that heater hose, that was a conundrum when I did the swap, trying to keep from pinching hoses. Wish they had stubbed them out like GM used to do through the fire wall. ( Could be done, but didn't have the time to fit and resolder tubing and then theres the chance of breaking the joints due to vibes.)

Thanks,

Lone

Lone, I found a molded heater hose that is quite long and has a 90 bend at one end. Worked fairly well using one for each pipe. I have the part number if anyone is interested, but it's at home.

I also have part numbers for molded radiator hoses to use with the Camaro radiator JTR recommends, on my web site under http://members.home.net/pparaska/cooling.htm

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited April 16, 2001).]

FYI - FOX Mustangs use a restrictor. It looks like a pipe plug with a hole drilled in it an dit comes with new Mustang cores usually. Parts guy should be able to dig one up or you can make one - be SURE to put it on INLET side or you'll blow it real fast...