HybridZ

Compression test, your thoughts

jay28

Hi all,

When I started my car last weekend I seen some blue smoke from the exhaust.......I havent noticed any before when starting although there could have been.........It cleared after a few seconds, when the engine is warm and I rev it it also smokes slightly.

I have only 5k miles on the engine so I was surprised.......I bought a compression tester today and looks like there is a problem.

1 183psi

2 183

3 185

4 186

5 185

6 191 Whats up with this?

The engine is running perfect nice and smooth with no knocks or bangs.

The car did overheat on me once when running it in after a frost plug came out, maybe the oil stem seals have hardened? although I dont think this would have anything todo with the high reading on cylinder 6.

I was expecting a low reading on a cylinder not a high one

Jay

Those are very nice comp test results, nothing wrong there at all. Smoke on startup is most likely the valve stem seals or guides. If it bothers you try replacing the seals and see if there is much wear in the guides while you have it apart.

jt

Oh ok well thats good news, I thought there was something wrong with cylinder 6 as the comp was higher than the rest.

Yeah I think ill take the head off, replace the seals and guides and maybe port and polish while am at it.

Thanks

Yeah I think ill take the head off, replace the seals and guides and maybe port and polish while am at it.

With a 5K old engine and with such good compression and the machine running smoothly, what else do you want?

I wouldn't take the head off just yet. Have you tried a different oil, perhaps one with a slightly different viscosity or an additive and see if that has any effect.

Valve stem seals if the culprit are easy to replace with the right tools and some compressed air.

If you really want to port the head, go for it, seems such a shame to pull the head off to do something that perhaps you should've done before screwing it together 5K ago. :redface:

Just my 2 cents worth.

well the engine was put together a year and a half ago now, only done 5k in that time.

And yes I probably should have done the port and polish back then :icon56:

I just dont like the smoke on startup............compression is "roughly"10.1

Its a f54 block, p90 head shaved 2mm, flattop pistons, stage 4 cam and triple dellortos, and its an NA motor

I thought there was something wrong with cylinder 6 as the reading was much higher than the rest :redface:

I'm using 20w 50 oil at the moment.

Jay

Want some compression numbers? Try 250 per cylinder. I have a 77 motor using the comp pistons and a stage 2 cam and a 2mm gasket. I about craped myself when I read those numbers.. Anyways I put a nissmo cam sprocket on and retarted the cam 6 degrees. Brought the compression down to 225 per cylinder. I run hi test and methanol injection....mega squirt....runs awsome.