HybridZ

No spark, Please help

kijana

Ok guys, I need your help on this one. As the title says, I have no spark. I am sure I have fuel…but no spark, so car will not start.

My setting.

L28et with 82 distributer. (running just fine with stock ecu) (77 280Z)

MS1 with MS1/Extra rev 029y4 installed (bought used from a board member)

Relay board with all connections as per www.diyautotune.com

I have made the modification to enable me to use the stock coil (followed www.diyautotune.com instructions, and also the megasquirt MS1-extra manual for single coil ignition.)

For “code_Variant†am running MSNS-EXTRA

i've got it hooked uu like this.. manuals/MS_Extra_Hardware_Manual_files/v3one-coil.gif

For timing:

-used mobythevan approach…set to BTDC, moved back crank so notch on dampner was approximately on 60⁰ (near oil pump line)…then moved the distributer until the middle led (with has been set to IQR trigger, turned on…oh fuel pump also turns on!!).

I cannot fine tune my timing because I have no spark..hence timing gun will not trigger.

My “Engine RPM†reads about 230 RPM with cranking.

When cranking, the middle LED blinks, but the first ( LED 17) doesn’t…its always off.

My settings are as shown below.

I have checked and rechecked my connections…FP runs, injectors open, MS is always powered on, internal mods have been rechecked,….yet no spark…am I missing something.

I have attached my MSQ file as well as pics of my setting.

Thanks in advance.

settings pics.zip

280zxt_200905241314.zip

I got it running. I gave up on the IGBT trigger and used the GM HEI instead (using fidle). Car fired right up...but could not maintain idle for long. To fix this, i set my trigger angle to 60 degrees with 0 addition. The car now starts up on the first crank :mrgreen:.

I now need to fix the "rich condition"...my wideband (connected to MS) reads 10.0 when idling.

I also need to figure out how to use easytherm to set my Head sensor and air temp sensor... I input the temp info, generate the inc files, and copy them to my car folder.. I then hit the "download to megasquirt" button and it start programing and finishes with no errors (i do jump the boot terminals). My MS restarts, but i cant communicate with it again so am forced to reflash it using the flash utility that comes with megatune2.2. Can anyone provide help on how to properly flash my MS unit with the correct 280zxt head sensor?

Thanks

It appears everytime i post something, i figure how to make it work !!! anyway, found a good article on how to use easytherm

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/software/Temp_Sensor_Instructions.pdf

I tried it and this time i was able to flash my MS without messing things, the only down side is that my temp readings on the head sensor still seem out of place, been idling for two minutes and it shows temps at 130F...(seems too high,but i could be wrong)

Its getting late so ill call it a night, tomorrow ill check the resistance when cold and see if it falls within the curve.

Tomorrow ill set timing, finalize idle and sensors, and if all goes well...take her for a spin :burnout:

later.

For the CHTS, I "averaged" the values in the sticky thread with some I measured. It seems fairly accurate now.

---

Measured CHTS -

32F = 6040 ohms,

69 = 2220,

125 = 459

Suggested CHTS from hybridz.org -

14F = 9000,

68 = 2500,

122 = 840

Values entered for CHTS -

14 = 9000,

69 = 2450,

125 = 700

Thanks,

I measured the resistance on my sensor and your averaged values are almost spot on. Anyway, i guess i didnt understand how hot the Z actually runs.

On an upside, i did get the car to run and run great, pulls hard...AFR at 14 while crusing and 12.5 while boosting. The only thing that i cant seem to get right is how to get my car to lean out while decelarating (engine braking)... my AFR bounces around from rich to lean while engine braking and not a contant lean like the stock system did....

Ill try leaning out the VE table futher at those points...

The settings for engine braking are in "overrun settings". Check to see what your TPS raw value is when you are not touching the gas pedal and then enter a number in overrun that is just a few above that spot so it knows when you are off the gas.