HybridZ

77 280Z A few different problems HELP!

Just bought another Z a 77 280 out here in Cali. The car is clean no rust good paint and interior even the A/C works lol but there is definately a few different problems..

I got the car for cheap so Im not gonna be too pissed if it needs alot of repairs. First off the guy I got it from said he thinks it needs a radiator and a head gasket.. Not really sure if it needs a head gsaket but it could use a radiator..

The motor was rebuilt about 3 years ago says the guy and has roughly 10k on the rebuild.. Heres whats going on...

The first day I got it I popped the radiator cap and found abunch of rusty colored sludge in the radiator, I flushed it out the best I could with the hose and got it flowing out the bottom but it could still be plugged, filled it up, found a missing rubber seal on the radiator cap, replaced the cap.

Checked the oil looked full and clean.

Charged the battery but it was gone would not hold a charge cause the car has been sitting for about 2 years, replaced the battery.

Checked the spark plugs,ok, squirted some oil in the cyls and tryed to fire up the car.. It took alot of juice for the car to turn over but I got it started.. The idle ran very high and after it had warmed up if you hit the throttle it would hesitate badly and I could NOT rev the car at all, it just had a high idle.

I unplugged the TPS harness and it still ran the same no REV..

Not sure what cleared it up but I moved around a bunch of electrical harnesses and also popped the cap on the MAF and moved the cam in side back and forth a few times.

I also found some water or moisture inside the MAF and throttle body . I pulled off the hoses and let it air out for a day. Not sure if this fixed it but now I can rev the car.

The temp guage is not working and the car is not charging, it happens intermitantly as the battery light is on and off.

When I test drove the car it hesitates a bit but then after a while keeping the throttle down the car clears up and pulls. I do hear a rattle now and then under the car might have a possible plugged cat but I will check a little better for where the noise is coming from tomorrow.

I did a compression check and the cyls are as follows starting with cyl #1 165 #2 165 #3 160 #4 165 #5 168 #6 165 they all held pressure. T

The RPM gauge is not working and is stuck at around 2500.. I put fresh fuel in but NO I did not flush the tank or change the fuel filter yet..

The lifters are noisy. the idle is a bit rough and sometimes the car shakes alittle, it is also running rich and I cannot turn down the idle with out turning the big idle mixture screw.

The oil doesnt look milky and I dont see white smoke out of the pipe or smell a sweet smell but when I came back from the test drive the car was overheating and the coolant overflow bottle was bubbling and steaming..

Well I tryed to put the hole story on here by writing a book but bottom line...I have hesitation at acceleration,car over heats, rough idle, runs rich, temp gauge not reading, RPM gauge stuck, intermittant charging system problem.. If theres something on this list of thing thats happened to your car and you might have some helpfull info let me know.. Thanks:iospalo: ...after reading all this mumbo jumbo I wrote half asleep last night I realize I sound like a tweeker lol.. I can assure you im not lol, just wanted to try to list every thing going on all at once so I could possibly get some good hints on whats going on here, been working 12 hour days and I wish I had more time to diagnos every little problem here. But cant wait to do some burn outs!

Rob

Please edit that, pressing the "Enter" key about twenty times to put spaces between your thoughts.

That is a tough read.

Beyond that, I would recommend you find the FSM for your charging and tach problems, and go here http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=135748&highlight=efi+bible+step to learn how the EFI works so you can fix the rich issue.

Sorry, been running around all day..

Use the first post as an open book to any "have you done this yet?" questions..

I have hesitation at acceleration, car over heats, has rough idle, runs rich, temp gauge not reading, RPM gauge stuck, intermittant charging..