HybridZ

Leaky rear end...

DavyZ

It's a pipe thread plug. Teflon or some kind of sealant will allow a good seal, plus allow easy removeal later. This way you also don't have to make it too tight to seal it (no cracked case). Mine diff leaks occasionally, but found it to be burping out the top vent tube.

Terry

Guest Anonymous

Ok I'll say it, read all the above comments in the context of the other kind of "leaky rear end." It's kinda funny. Then again I'm a sucker for crude humor.

Guest Anonymous

And in all seriousness, it is as Terry said, a pipe plug, and teflon tape's always worked great on it for me. Just don't overtighten it, I did on my R-180 diff and cracked the aluminum rear cover. Oh well, made for a good excuse to put an R-200 in.

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Z3bra:

Ok I'll say it, read all the above comments in the context of the other kind of "leaky rear end." It's kinda funny. Then again I'm a sucker for crude humor.

Ok, me too, I was gonna suggest kaopectate or something, but decided that was kinda crude, filthy minds think alike I guess.. icon_smile.gif

Lone

I'm assuming at least some of you guys know the annoyance of a leaking rear differential. My R200 has a very slow, but annoying leak and I swear I'm at a loss to pinpoint its origin. I think it's coming from the large drainage bolt at the bottom. I will be going to Redline shockproof gear oil in the diff and hope that the viscosity won't be any thinner--unless I stop the leaking here and now. Here are my two questions:

Is that bolt tapered or will it bottom out? I do not want to crack any aluminum if it is some kind of tapered compression bolt!

Is teflon tape a good idea in this case? Is the paintable kind better?

Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful. I never want to make a mistake if I don't have to...

Thanks,

David

i had the same problem, my drain bolt had a severly worn washer, and was leaking around the threads, did you check that yet, hope its that easy for you!!!

hey what kind of lube do you usually throw in there, its about that time!

No, just lots & lots of teflon tape!

OK, the consensus is:

1) the drain plug at the bottom of the differential IS and expansion-type/pressure-type item and tightening too much will crack the aluminum. Well, the only thing that fits in that plug is a HUGE ratchet like a 1/2" torque wrench. I'm unsure what the torque spec is, if there even is one! I'll just be VERY careful while tightening.

2) teflon tape should work well, per Terry, and give a good seal w/o leakage.

Good! icon_smile.gif I'm going that route; Thanks guys!