HybridZ

thinking of buying 280z

navyz

Theres a 81 280z turbo sitting at a goodwill car lot for 500 obo with a fair amount of rust and dust on it (looks northern) and it wont start. its sold as-is with 286,614 miles on it. some parts are in better shape then others but it has alot of potential to me. i already have a 89 300zx n/a and got the z bug now but i dont know much about the 280z cars and how much of a project i would get into here. so i was wondering if its a good deal and i should get it and fix it up after bootcamp and school or wait till after when i got cash and get one in better condition that doesnt need so much work.i havent seen many for sale this cheap. any comments would help thanks

If you have $500 and a place to put it, buy that sucker like the earth was about to end in 2 weeks!

Personally, I could come up with the $500 but that would mean it would have to sit for a few weeks until a competent mechanic could look at it (and I could pay him to do so). No matter what he tells you the cost would be, you've got it! Running great (and good floorpans) could sell for $3,000 to $5,000 (you didn't say where you were). Heck! If your close to Delaware I'LL come get it!

ya i got some money and am gonna try to talk the price down then try to get it running to see how it runs and how it drives. when i turn the key over nothing happens(no lights no sound and nothing comes on) but when i jump the starter it just free spins and wont engage. i tapped the starter with a brick but nothing happend. Is there anything i should look for bad wise so i dont lose 500 bucks on this deal by buying a junker

eh starters are cheap and you can still buy em new sooooo Buy it for $500 thats great. My turbo was $1100 and Now I put about $600 into it mainly into the Z31 ECU swap and wow its such a fun car. Its my 2nd 280Z and hopefully not my last. I Need at least 7 Right.. 1 foe each day of the week... =-)

o ok cool ya i REALLY want it and i got it to turn over today and start for about 2 seconds but then it dies but its getting gas to the injectors. i talked them down to 370 and take home that day but now i just need 250 more bucks:hs: soo close!! i really hope no one buys it before i get the money

If you can't come up with the $500 to buy it now or whaever $370 you won't have the money to fix it up so you will have a yard ornament for quite a while. Granted it is probably a good deal but you will want it to run. Rust etc can be daunting plus you don't know - turbo blown? ecu blown? wheel bearings and running gear and tranny. 81 turbo came with auto tranny only and with 250 plus on the clock hope you know how to fix auto trannies. Can't really get interior parts anymore so if trashed inside you will be driving in a trashed car with out an outlay of cash.

If you can't come up with the $500 to buy it now or whaever $370 you won't have the money to fix it up so you will have a yard ornament for quite a while. Granted it is probably a good deal but you will want it to run. Rust etc can be daunting plus you don't know - turbo blown? ecu blown? wheel bearings and running gear and tranny. 81 turbo came with auto tranny only and with 250 plus on the clock hope you know how to fix auto trannies. Can't really get interior parts anymore so if trashed inside you will be driving in a trashed car with out an outlay of cash.

Still, a Z car yard ornament looks a whole lot better than a birdbath!

well i finnally got the money with the help of a real good friend and im goin down first thing tomorow morning to pick my first 280z up:razz:!!! ima get it running when i get home to see how it sounds but i only got a week to work on it till bootcamp then its gonna have to sit for a while till i get back but then the real project and plans start!