HybridZ

simple taillight problem?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a simple (hopefully) wiring problem that I hope someone can help me with.

First of all, all the lights work. Headlights, sidemarker lights, tail lights, and reverse lights. All the bulbs are good, no problem.

The problem is when I hit the brakes the left side won't work, and when I turn on the blinker the right rear won't work, even though the bulbs are good. Is this possibly a crossed wire at a relay? I have the Chiltons manual for my car with the chassis electrical diagram and all the wires at the taillights are wired properly. Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks for any input whatsoever.

icon_confused.gif

Is this with the stock wiring? Even with my new Painless Wiring harness installed I had weird problems. My guess is it's the connections within the bulb sockets themselves, sometimes a good whack will turn them on (or keep them from turning on)

I've since replaced my bulbs and sockets with the 3157 style (wedge type) and I'm amazed everytime they turn on, even though thats what they're supposed to be doing!

Owen

Guest Anonymous

Hey Owen, thanks for the reply. All the lights already work, that's what is so baffling to me. It is just when I use the brakes or the blinker that those decide not to work. Therefore it is not the bulbs, maybe a bad contact on a switch or something. I'll keep searching. Brake lights are a good thing!! icon_mad.gif

Yeah, check the turn signal switch. It's a funky switch that interrupts the brake light on the side that is being flashed. This all happens in that little switch on the 240Z.

Check out my site and look at the Turn Signal Mod page for an explanation of the switch circuit and how I added relays to keep this from happening.

It also could be the hazard switch, since that also feed the TS circuit.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Pete, I checked your site and that sounds like it could very well be the problem. I also have to hold the blinker up or down to get action. I knew someone else had to have experienced this problem.

You are obviously a wizard but electrical is my weak suit. I will take apart my switch and see if I can understand what is going on per your diagram and maybe Radio Shack carries those relays you speak of. Thanks! Now I know where to start looking. icon_smile.gif