HybridZ

Radiator mounting?

BLKMGK

Okay, I've got the JTR lower mount done. Drilled a 3/8ths hole in the mount and in the frame. Dropped a stainless carriage bolt (polished of course) through it all and bolted it up. Still need to put something on the lower tank clips to insulate it but I'm getting there. However, what are folks doing for the top? I think this might have come up before butI'm interested in input. I've considered the stock top mounts that Mustangs use but I'm not sure they're wide enough for my radiator - it might hit the prop rod too. I've heard aluminum strap proposed and I've also considered trying to bend something out of some stainless I've got - it's a bear to work with though...

Any other simple ideas? I'd like the top of the core to be visible. Mikelly, what did you use before you tilted the radiator? Mounting this fan is going to be "fun" too but it came with some aluminum strap that might end up holding the radiator down icon_smile.gif I don't want the fan in there until the accessories are on as it'll be in the way. Still waiting on a friend to get me an alternator mount for that and I'll need pullies...

Guest Anonymous

I havn't seen the Howe radiator, but if you used the JTR mount as it was with the little brackets holding rubber to insulate the bottom, then I'd replicate that on the top using a piece that would look like a 'F' the fell on its face. icon_smile.gif The leg of the F would bolt to the top of the radiator support, you could always get a piece of aluminum bolted on top of the whole assembly to clean it up (or rivet the top bracket on the aluminum piece and use it as the top mount to the radiator support), buffed out it would look pretty good I think.

Where did you get the Howe radiator by the way, I may end up going that route as well when my A/C gets here, I think its gonna be to hot with this 240z A/C radiator when the A/C is on. Also what size, 19x24?

Thanks,

Lone

I'm doing exactly what the JTR manual shows on the fast white Z with the 400 sbc. I used the Camaro radiator and have the stock bottom mounts for it. For the top I did what the white Z has--Volvo radiator top brackets! They will work well IMO and should be easy to install. Plus they hold the radiator only on the side tank protrusions(sp?). I had considered using the classic Chevy top bracket, but I wanted a minimalist look (if that makes any sense at all) and be able to see my ugly aluminum radiator.

David

I posted the URL for my Howe radiator the other day I think. PerformanceBodies or somesuch? Oh, here it is! -> http://www.performancebodies.com/cooling/radiators.html

MikeSCCA told me about them - they shipped fast too. I've got pics of the radiator but have not yet posted them. If you've got ANY questions fire away before it's mounted and I can take pics, weigh it, etc. etc.

I've got the JTR book, guess I should've read that part again - duh! The fallen F brackets actually sound just like what the Mustang uses. I've got a set powdercoated on the Mustang right now - might have to pirate them off! They hold just the tank too. I don't want to cover the radiator if I can help it, just need to figure out a way to secure it and keep it from rubbing anywhere is all.

Thanks guys!

Guest Anonymous

Cool (pun...), thanks for the URL, I'll check them out, after a few sortie's today in the 95 deg heat, its appearant I need more cooling (didn't boil over, but 205 on a 180 thermostat is not what I like to see). That looks like it'll do the job just great.

Thanks,

Lone

What kind of fan are you going to run? I have the Black Magic one in the JTR book, it bolts to the radiator support "wall" and I have no top mounts at the moment because its pretty rigid. It's like a staple where the legs pierce the wall (paper) but there is no support at the top (there is for the bottom).

Should I be worrying about not having the top mount?

Owen

The HOWE radiators are only $180. For an aluminum radiator that's pretty killer I think.

Owne - YES run a top mount. I know what you mean about it not moving much but it will wiggle and it will wear on the tanks where it mounts. Best to stabilize it better and not risk it.

I WAS planning on running a Cobra fan unit. Howver if you look on my site you'll see the problem - it's too BIG! The shroud nearly covers the core and then some. I also cannot figure out how to mount it yet. I'm stumped and have no top mount right now so I worked on gauges icon_smile.gif Figured out everything but whish bulb is the left blinker and which is the right. Going to use LEDs I think.... Taurus fans are cheap - how hard are they to mount? I need a clue please (sigh).

Jim, the Cobra fan is big - over 19" shroud diameter. I had to cut off the "arms" and make up my own brackets to mount to horizontal bar I ran across the bottom of the radiator. The top radiator had tabs sticking down from it that I made small brackets from.

Luckily, it just covers the Camaro radiator (JTR spec'd one) I think the Taurus fan is a better way to go, as it has a full shroud over the core and is easier to mount and probably cheaper in the yards. I imagine it has the same motor in it as well, although it'd be good to check that. I have part numbers off the Cobra fan motor if we want to check that.

BTW, I made sure my radiator was well sealed to the radiator support - so that no air could flow through the big hole in the support and go around the radiator. This can make a difference at speed. I also made sure that the A/C condensor was sealed to the radiator support - all air that enters the A/C condensor is ducted to the radiator core - no leakage from the front of the A/C condensor to the back side of the radiator core.

Been awhile since I'd looked at your site Pete - took a look tonight and spotted your fan pics. Most cool! Where did the aluminum come from for the top piece - hardware store I ASSume? Ears on the fan - they look plastic - yes? Can you tell me the source please? Your install came out VERY clean, I'd be happy (and lucky) to come close to that level with my own.

Jim Biondo sold me the radiator, that top AL mount and two bottom mounts with GM rubber recievers for $50. The rad only had a few miles on it. He went to a larger AL rad because that rad and the Flexlite 150 fan wouldn't do the job for him. He said he thought that the issue was that the fan wasn't pulling enough and turned me on the the Mustang GT fan.

I know Ross thinks this is back asswards, and I agree - the rad should be oversized, not the fan. But I couldn't pass up that deal at that price. Plus having a fan to handle lots o' heat, hot days, A/C, etc. made sense.

Anyway, the top AL think is two pieces of AL plate, about 1/16" thick, in an L shaped cross section. TIG welded at the corner of the L, and ground down smooth. I added the brushed finish with some sand paper on an L shaped block to keep it straight. Jim had the two AL tabs that hung down from it behind the core for mounting the Flex-lite fan. I extended those with steel brakets that I bolted and epoxied to the Mustang fan housing (after cutting off the plastic parts that extend from the shroud). They're painted with your favorite gloss black paint (POR-15).

Ah, thanks - you've given me some ideas on mounting it! Taurus fans in the yards are indeed cheap, I think I may scope one out. The Cobra fan is what I wanted ans I ended up just sort of falling into this one for next to nothing. I'll fiddle with it and see if I can get it mounted, if not a Taurus fan it might well be!

Anyone that's running one - can you please comment on how it mounts? This is an area that really needs to be better documented IMO. I think we can all agree that an OEM fan like a Taraus or Cobra blows more air and is more reliable but documenting how to mount and wire one would be really helpful for those that come after us. Sealing it is also VERY important. Air will take the path of least resistance - like water - and flow right around that puppy. Lone, check yours - sealing might allow you to keep that radiator if it's not already sealed.

I've put more pics of mine up. The top of the filler peeks up just a bit - can the radiator stick up over the top frame and not hit the hood? We'll see. For nw I'm letting thipart sit while I get the turn lights setup and gauges wired in. I've YET to hear from Autometer on my speedo' icon_sad.gif IF I don't have mail waiting for me tonight I'll simply wire this one in, don't want to wait!

Hunted aoround tonight for somehting to make a mount out of. Best I could come up with was some aluminum diamond plate icon_smile.gif I think I'll make a pair of mounts for the top with this or use some of the thick stock given to me with the Cobra fan. I've cut down the largest "leg" on the Cobra fan so it's more like a round piece to ease mounting. It's still huge and I'm still not sure how I'll put mounts on the fan shroud itself but I'm closer. I believe my radiator needs to drop down a good half inch before I can get more serius about completing the mount - it's up over the front crossmember right now (sigh).