HybridZ

280z Exhaust

Hey folks,

I am looking to upgrade my exhaust from a total restoration on my 75 280z. I'd like to get more the sound closer to that of the newer 350z, so I am looking for some advice on what will give it that type of sound. I do not want to install headers as I have been told it will sound like a loud tin can. I am looking for a classy higher-end sound vs. that of the fast and the furious. This is a $15K resto. Ideas?

Thanks

Jamie

That might be a tough one...First off Old School Zs are straight 6 which have their own unique sound to them. The 350Z is a V6 which has a different tone and sound. On top of that, the 280Z are single over head cam and 350Zs are dual overhead cams. 2.8 liters compared to 3.5 liters...Adding headers will not give you a tin can sound, that tin can sound can be because of a hollowed out cat, which does sound like a tin can. by the "Fast and Furious" sound, what do you mean by that? There was a 350Z in Tokyo Drift...If you are worried about the "Ricer" sound, I guess your best bet would be one of these mufflers

Magnaflow (I'm using this one for now)

Flowmaster- Muscle car sound

Dynomax

Cherry Bomb

Etc..

Also, what are your specs on the car? Is it still stock?

The "Ricer" muffler are actually pretty good (IMO)...they are a straight through design and high quality if you go with the right company. The problem I ran into with the canister type muffler is more of a personal style..I think some of the canister type muffler tip's are too big for Datsun Z's (115-120mm). The canister type muffler will give you a better mid-high end while the regular muffler (OEM Style) like the ones above will give you a better low-mid end.

For your information here is what I have gathered regarding some canister type muffler. Although they claim to have a 75, 76 or 80mm inlet, if you look on the outlet (tip side) you'll notice that some of the mufflers will not really be that size all the way through. I've heard that on the HKS they advertise a 75mm inlet pipe, when you try to put a 2 1/2" pipe through the outlet, it will not fit. This is due to the regulations in japan. So far, here are the muffler that are really a 3" straight through.

Meagan

Blitz NUR Spec

RSR GT2 (my future muffler)

You can find this info at the following link:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318670

Keep in mind that as your car's performance change, so will the sound. Hope this helps and if not, sorry I couldn't be of any help. Good luck and remember you can always youtube for some sound clips.

Yeah I've been thinking about mufflers for my VQ swap. I don't want the car to be real loud, I like quiet, I like to hear my radio over the engine noise. I know I'm asking a lot since even the 350Z's are loud, but I know it can be quiet because the G35's are. I don't think I can go dual exhaust without major gas tank mods, so it's kinda hard to figure. I'm thinking I'll use either 2.5" or better 3" pipe, stock cats, a mid pipe muffler, or glasspacks, then a decent rear muffler. I guess we'll see when I get there. I guess I like low meaty grunt rather than high toned ricey whine.

Phar