HybridZ

mufflers-what to run???

Guest needwaymorespeed

Guest needwaymorespeed

Im getting ready to build my exhaust,just got my headers now trying to figure out the mufflers. whats youre oppinions Im looking for something that flows well but is not realy loud looking at

dynomax ultra flows

edelbrock rpm series

and thinking about borlas

I need a 2.5 in and 2.5 out

anyone have cold hard flow figures and db measurements on mufflers?

any info and oppinion appreciated

thanks

Curtis

Guest Frank280z

All mufflers mentioned are almost straight through designs. Lone has a wave on his sight with a teminator from flowtech. Not sure if he's running 2.5 though. Dynomax makes a super turbo and a hemi super turbo. Not as loud as the "chambered" mufflers. But it also looks like your looking for a polished stainless look. Which is hard to find with any type of packing. Edlebrock has woven fiber'. So I guess that would be the quietest out of the three.

I had a pair of 2 chamber FlowMasters in my Mustang. The day I drove it home my head nearly burst from the noise. It really droned! Your's doesn't drone? Is it one of the new Deltas? Mine was one of the old original 2chambers and rusted like mad! Mild steel, no coating - what were they thinking?!

I'm looking at some of the same mufflers myself. I too want the polished stainless, didn't realize the Edelbrock's were stainless and had packing in them. DynoMax's Ultras are high on my list too. I thought that they were pretty much like their turbo mufflers but stainless and higher flowing - no? Their turbo mufflers is what I've got on the Mustang now - much nicer. I DO think they give up some HP but that's worth it in my book for a quiet(er) ride.

I've been looking at the rice mufflers too. Some of them are quite expensive though and I've got no idea what they would sound like on a V8! I really like their looks though. finding one with a 2.5inch inlet or bigger is hard. Since I may be forced to run single exhaust I'm not sure what I'll end up with. IF you go with the Ultras please let us know how they sound.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, mine's 2.5" in and out, centered on one side, offset on the other and its reversable. Perhaps its because of my milder cam and lower compression, but mines actually quite quiet, the wave sounds a little louder than in person. Unless I stand on mine (and I can't really tell as I havn't had anyone drive the car by me) its pretty quiet. There is slight droning on mine at about 2000, but its not super bad. It does have a decent sound when its opened up through the gears, but I usually forget to listen, I'm usually to busy watching the tach redline and shifting. Really need a rev limiter... icon_biggrin.gif

Lone

Guest needwaymorespeed
Originally posted by BLKMGK:

DynoMax's Ultras are high on my list too. I thought that they were pretty much like their turbo mufflers but stainless and higher flowing - no?

Thanks for the replies,boy im reayly undecided on this one.

blkmgk-the dynomax superturbos hav the piep inside the muffler shaped as a S

the ultaflo have a pipe that go strait through-better flo but also louder.

the edelbrocks are realy tempting there inside pipe looks like two ys meeting together the tube comes in ys into two sperate tubes then ys back into one.

looks like the borlas are probly the highest quality, they actualy use stainless steel packing for their sound absorption where as the ultaflows are fiberglass composite and the edelbrocks are simialar.

lone thanks for the sound file,anyone else have any ideas

Thanks

Curtis

Guest kc6wfs

Hi Curtis.

I have no noticable drone at any rpm.

It is a steal case it's in with wealded seams.

I asked my exhaust guy if I would need a resenator and he did not think so.

I guess I lucked out or something.

But the case of the muffler is nice, if I hit it with a hammer i doubt it would dent. not crappy tin wraped seams.

Dave

FYI - I run two 31" staimless steel glass packs, one down each side of the driveshaft. This is about the longest glasspack I can fit in the car. I picked them up from Summit but don't see them in their latest catalog. The fact that the glasspacks are not very large in diameter makes for a pretty simple and clean installation.

Of course, because of my kit, I also run twin ANSA tips on each side that have resonators in them. It ends up with a pretty decent sound but not to loud. The noise level in the car is very reasonable through the full RPM range.

I've always hesitated with glasspacks but being able to run them where you have them means I could run full duals wihout the passenger muffler interfering with the fuel pump... I wish I could hear what it sounds like! icon_smile.gif This is almost as toough as figuring out what wheels to run! (lol)

I went for the looks first....Apex'i "Dunk" muffler. 3-inches in, 5-inches out! I can stick my foot into the tailpipe no problem. Height-wise I could fit a regular soft drink can in it....

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/files/exhaust.htm

Amazing how small it looks in the pictures icon_smile.gif I had to enlarge the stock muffler hole in the back valance to fit the tip in.

Haven't fired her up yet though...can't wait!

Owen

I think you mentioned this before, I'd love to know how it sounds! I'm hesitant though because th eRX7s that have this muffler are supposed to be loud as heck! Now, an RX7 is a noisier engine than a pushrod motor but it still makes me hesitate. Any chance you'll be cranking it up soon? icon_smile.gif What do those suckers run apiece? I think I've seen them once or twice on the RX7 boards but never apart from an entire cat-back system. The PFS muffler on my RX7 is pretty sweet looking and the BIG mufflers I've seen on a few 300ZX TTs around here have also been nice looking. But they've never held still long enough for me to ask about the source icon_sad.gif

Guest zfan

Ive got long glass packs on my Z and do not like the sound! Does anyone know if the resenators added on to the exhaust tips/ends make any difference in drone or sound. Glass packs give my Z a truck sound icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif Mike

My .02 cents...

I sure like the sound of the two Dyno Max Super Turbo's. Assuming there top o the line muff has a reasonable db as well...go for it!

You can barely tell i have a V8 unless you really pay attention.

I get people craning there necks out there SUV windows asking me if it's a V8 and then they pant and lust after the car...

Have fun...oh, and Mike (ZFAN) and Myron have both heard my car.

Yeah, I've always liked the big-single look in mufflers (turbos too). I think the going price is $150 or less, it's just the muffler and has no muffler hanger pieces. I just used some clamps and hangers from PepBoys ($0.99!) and a little larger one in the back.

As to cranking it up? Who knows? Was pushing for last week but couldn't do it, I want the car to be drivable in order to start breaking it in on the same day. I'll make sure to grab the audio of it though, have a feeling it's gonna be LOUD!

Owen

• 2 weeks later...

Owen, you migth want to rethink the Dunk without a serious resonator... -> http://www.240sx.org/links/product-review/exhaust/mufflers/keng.htm

I'm starting to shop mufflers now myself. Aside from the $200 apiece price plus cost of hangers and resonator it sounds (nyuk nyuk) like his puppy is just plain nasty loud on a smaller car...

Owen, you any closer to firing that sucker up? I'd love to be proven wrong icon_smile.gif

What I did as a test was to mount a glasspack thingy backwards on the car, should be quieter but more restrictive too. Those Dynomax bullet shaped mufflers might be an option...

I've pushed back firing it up until I get the R230 on, I wanna drive-break-it-in right away! But who knows, I may get impatient icon_smile.gif

Owen

I ordered a Spin Tech muffler with dual 2 1/2 in/out, that's 3"X12"x18" that will fit under the drive shaft area near the rear end, from there dual pipes on either side of the gas tank to Pace Setter resonator tips. Spin Tech said this should flow very well. Hopfully it wont be to noisy with the tips installed. I will also put an H pipe or X pipe before the muffler.

Owen, you've fired it? Do tell please!!

Mike, that's a great idea actually! Not sure what sort of room I have but that's a good thing to think about. more than one muffler seems restrictive to me but heck I want it mostly quiet and will sacrifice HP if I must. And to get the look of the Dunk type muffler it would be worth it too icon_smile.gif Thank you! Have you fired yours yet? I'm nearly to the mufflerexhaust stage icon_rolleyes.gif