HybridZ

mufflers-what to run???

Guest needwaymorespeed

Mike kZ, Do the X-pipe!

Firstly, you'll love the sound! Mike Kelly heard mine at 4000 rpm (the day I started the car). I think he'll agree that that even pulse sound from teh X-pipe is pretty sweet. Can't wait to get my car back from the paint shop just to be able to listen to that again!

Lastly, you reportedly gain low and mid range torque over and H-pipe or no crossover. Hot Rod magazine did a test of all these options a few months ago as well.

Guest Night_rider_383

Here's something i was thinking about. Being they aint much room under a z for big box mufflers i was looking at these deals that welds in the header coll. or right after. The 3 disk on they say you can use it on the streets. Some of yall might wanna take a look at there site. www.carchemistry.com

Now i aint sure how this will sit with the cops if you get pulled over cause if they look under the car its just gonna look like stright pipes no mufflers. Just a thought on how to save space

BLKBGK: No I haven't fired it up yet, but soon! I'm working on the wireing right now.

Pete: OK I guess I'll do the X pipe. I thought the H pipe would be easier since the exshaust pipes will be very close together, and any muffler shop can throw one together. Do you think they can build an X pipe? or do I need to go to Dr.Gas?

Mike kZ, yeah they can make one. In fact, I'd suggest that instead of the Dr. Gas unit so they could make it narrower.

They should use bends that open wider than 90 degrees, more like 135 maybe. That might be more difficult to weld together. That way it will be easier to fit in.

Guest Tom Scala

My friend has a pair of Flowmasters and didn't like the noise so he put a 2 disk Car Chemistry insert into each tailpipe and it really cut down on the resonance. He never goes to the track though so I don't know how it would effect performance.

Guest dankinzle

Just to make a distinction...When everyone is talking about the resonance with flowmasters, are you talking about normal flows or the delta flows? I had a 2.5" 50 series delta flow before and it only resonanted slightly at like exactly 2000 rpm. I had only maybe 9 inches of pipe out the end too.

Guest Anonymous

That seems like a magick number for resonance on the Smallblock Chevy anyway, 2000 rpm's seems like where mine is the worst (which is relatively mild, but my landlord doesn't think so, I can't rev the car around here no more... icon_sad.gif ). Any acoustical engineers want to speculate why 2K is a common resonating RPM on the SBC? (I think the Z's L6 is what more like 3K r's, I can't recall.)

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

i would like input on the noise level of bullet mifflers...especially the moroso spiral flow!

I want to run a pair a bullets next to drive shaft maybe, with a Y into a large single pipe

Curtis,

I am running dual 2-1/2" exhaust into 2 flow-tech mufflers, 2-1/2" in/out.I welded the mufflers together side by side and mounted them in the stock location. It is tight but they do fit. I can e-mail a short video clip if you want to hear what it sounds like.

Mike

Guest needwaymorespeed

Thanks guys for the help I finally decides on the rpm series stainless mufflers by edelbrock the 5510 # its 2.5 offset inlet and 2.5 center outlet at about 20 inches long.

I found an old article about 5 yrs old that flowed all the mufflers and did a db comparison the hemi super turbos outflowed them all and were the quietest. there were spintech and flowmasters and borlas compared.

all the other mufflers were very loud in comparison to the super turbos-same mufflers as pete has!

I went with the edelbrocks for lifetime warranty-stainless steel and improved flow over the super turbos as per dynomakxs web site the super turbos flow around 480 cfm and the edb flows 660 cfm. Edelbrock rates them at around 480 cfm though.

Now theres mufflersd out ther thal flow 1000 cfm,but they are louder than I wanted.

the old comparison had the superturbos with 2.5 pipe and a dr gas x geeting a .05 second in the quarter mile than open headers on a 455 pontiac that runs low 12s

Ill let you know how i like them amd the sound.

thanks

quote:

Originally posted by needwaymorespeed:

I found an old article about 5 yrs old that flowed all the mufflers and did a db comparison the hemi super turbos outflowed them all and were the quietest. there were spintech and flowmasters and borlas compared.

all the other mufflers were very loud in comparison to the super turbos-same mufflers as pete has!

Those tests and the opinions of those that had used them in even high horse power applications (although my engine is pretty mild) is why I went for the Hemi Super Turbo Dynomax.

I'd heard two small turbo mufflers on a 2-1/4" system on a V8Z and I thougth they were too loud and looked restrictive. So I did a bit of surgery to the spare tire well to fit those Hemi muffs. Not hard, but I can't use a full size spare in there now icon_wink.gif.

quote:

Originally posted by needwaymorespeed:

I went with the edelbrocks for lifetime warranty-stainless steel and improved flow over the super turbos as per dynomakxs web site the super turbos flow around 480 cfm and the edb flows 660 cfm. Edelbrock rates them at around 480 cfm though.

Now theres mufflersd out ther thal flow 1000 cfm,but they are louder than I wanted.

the old comparison had the superturbos with 2.5 pipe and a dr gas x geeting a .05 second in the quarter mile than open headers on a 455 pontiac that runs low 12s

Ill let you know how i like them amd the sound.

thanks

How loud are those Edelbrock muffs? Are those the ones that have two curved pipes that branch and then join again inside the muff?

Guest needwaymorespeed

quote:

Originally posted by pparaska:

How loud are those Edelbrock muffs? Are those the ones that have two curved pipes that branch and then join again inside the muff?

Yep those are the ones,Ive heard both those and the hemis in person they are real close as far as db-dont have any actual #s

though

• 2 years later...