HybridZ

Alternator probs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Not a Z question, but I'm hoping for some ideas. It's a sort of universal question, I think....

My everyday driver has an internal-regulator alternator. The "IGNITION" (i.e. charge) light does not completely go out when you start the car & idle, but glows slightly. To get it to go fully out, you need to rev to about 2,500 - 3,000 r.p.m. Until it goes completely out, the voltmeter shows the battery isn't being charged at all. After the light goes out, it seems to be delivering a good healthy normal charge (i.e. correct battery voltage). What should I be checking? The alternator is a "rebuilt" unit installed about 1 year ago. Help!!!

Isn't that typical of some alternators? I mean, they need to be spun up with engine rpm of about 2000 to "turn on" and after that they stay on. I've heard the one wire alts do this.

My GM CS-130 alt (90 amp) kick out lots of amps at idle. Something like 45 amps at idle! And no "turn on" rpm either.

Dontcha love that charge light? I'm running no ammeter, a plug in the cig lighter volt meter (need to get or build one) and a charge light. Simple to hook up and lets you know if something is wrong with the battery, wiring, or alt. Or if your alt hasn't turned on yet icon_wink.gif.

I think what you are seeing is normal for some alts - I'd just spin it up to the turn on rpm when you start it and forget about it.

Pete's right, the behaviour you describe is normal. Thats how mine has been working for years. As for the indicator light... I've hooked mine up to a piezo "buzzer" as well as an indicator lamp. Lets me know right away if I throw a fan belt... which was happening frenquently untill I installed a Moroso deep-groove crank pully. It doesn't take long for thing to get real hot if the water-pump stops turning (same belt)

Paul

Paul, thanks for that piezo buzzer idea! I have two belts to the WP, AC and ALT, so maybe this won't be as much of a problem.

Hmm. I've been thinking of some lights to show when the oil pressure safety switch (7psi turn off) for the fuel pump circuit and the one for the ALT idiot light. Now I'm thinking of hooking both lights to a piezo buzzer. Thanks for the idea! I know the oil pressure beacon/buzzer is common on race cars, but I had not thought of using the buzzer idea.