HybridZ

driveshaft nut stripped. help!

driftinpinoy23

As the afore mentioned vicegrips, or a cut off tool. If you go with the later just be careful.

Cut through the middle of the bolt/nut until you reach the flange. Then use a chissel to shear it off. This method will reduce the risk of damage to the flange.

i used a spanner because the socket wrench wouldnt fit. ill try the vicegrips tomorrow but i dont know how ill be able to get them in there. should i try to remove the rear sway bar? also do i keep the car in gear and then move the vice grip or keep it in neutral and try to move the driveshaft? if this doesnt work ill prob end up trying to cut it

If you are talking about the four bolts that attach to the diff yoke. What I did to tighten the bolts when i had to replace them just last month; was have someone hold a wrench on the bolt/nut or use vice grips and the have someone turn the rear wheel really hard. in your case in reverse to loosen the bolts.. when replacing the bolts remember to use grade 9 bolts and nuts with locking washers!

i used a spanner because the socket wrench wouldnt fit. ill try the vicegrips tomorrow but i dont know how ill be able to get them in there. should i try to remove the rear sway bar? also do i keep the car in gear and then move the vice grip or keep it in neutral and try to move the driveshaft? if this doesnt work ill prob end up trying to cut it

I didn't remove the sway bar but I did have to drop it down to get at the bolts with a wrench.

Just took off mine off my parts car (granted, I did cut it in half :P). Stuck a 12 mm spanner with tightening the slack on the shaft (rotation, clockwise facing the back), stuck the spanner in (hole side with it fitted as far as it can go on the nut) so it would prop up against the the tunnel wall, and then rotated the shaft (angled it) to loosen the nuts.