HybridZ

Gauges

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My Speedometer, tach, and Fuel gauge do not work. I believe the Speedo and taxh were never hooked up in the conversion.

I have been quoted some outrageous prices (IMHO)to fabricate a speedo cable for me - $180 - $250! Is this normally that expensive, or have I just noit looked in the right place yet?

How hard is it to calibrate the Datsun Tach for a V8? Doest it require a shop with special instruments?

OK, this one may be a dumb question: I am guessing that my fuel gauge problem is a broken wire or failed sending unit. Is thre anything to the fuel gauge besides [sending unit+wire+gauge]?

AHA! I even managed to find it again:

Ebay

As of now, it's at 30 bucks--but the auction has 5 more days

As far as your other problems--I don't know about the tach, but you're right about the fuel gage-sender, wires, gage.

On a 76, there will be 3 wires on the sending unit, one is ground, one is for the low fuel sensor, the third is the actual gage signal (the signal wire is attached to the sender at the highest point) get an ohmmeter, and check between the ground and signal terminals-the range of the sender is ~10-80 Ohms, if you can pull the sender and cycle it, you'll know if it's working right. To check the gage, simply use a jumper wire between the signal wire and the ground coming off the harness, then turn the key on for a few seconds-the gage should peg out on the full mark (I think)

HTH,

Jim

Hey Brian, I haven't read all your posts, but I bet you have heard this before, "buy the JTR book". This forum is wonderful and has been very helpfull to me. But I found it works best as a compliment to the book, fills in the gaps were the book leaves off. I pulled mine out to answer your qwestions, but discovered I don't have enough information on your car. This I can help you with: JTR sells a speedo cable, (DAT-111, 70" long, $59). Yes you can calibrate the tach but you should read that section in the book, depends on your distributor/tach model. As far as the fuel guage, nothing special there, just basic troubleshooting. Did you check the fuse?

Good luck. Here is info on JTR: http://www.jagsthatrun.com/

© JTR

P.O. Box 66, Livermore, California 94551

E-Mail: JTR@JagsThatRun.com

Phone orders, (no technical help) 925-462-3619

Guest Anonymous

I have the JTR book. It was the first thing I bought when I got the car, based on everyone's advice here! I have revisited the part on tach calibration, and it may be enough to get me started. I have the Chevy HEI distributor.

Thanks for the Ebay link, Jim! I'm not sure if that cable will work for me. It's for the 700R4 tranny, and I have a 1970 Muncie M21 or M22 4-speed. 5 days should give me enough time to find out if it will match, though!

Gonna try to fix the fuel gauge today. Thanks for the help!

Guest Night_rider_383

talk to napa i know most folks dont like to deal with them cause of prices but a buddy done a rx 7 swap and used the mazda speedo and chevy trans napa made him up a custom cable to the lenght he needed with on end that fit in the stock speedo and the other end that fit the chevy trans for $19 bucks plus tax

Guest Anonymous

For Spedo Cable I made my own. I had no previous experience with it and it was not hard.

Take the stock Datsun cable housing, without the cable inside, and cut the transmission end off. Get a chevy cable and cut the speedo end off. Connect the seperate cable housings to the speedo and trans and continue to cut until you have the proper length and can butt the two pieces together.

Now join them with a rubber fuel line and several hose clamps. Buy a new speedo cable and insert it into the housing and cut to length. Put a new end on it and connect.

It worked for me.

Brian,

Look into the fitting on your 4-speed and see if a cable for a GM automatic will fit. If so, you can have my old speed cable (minus S & H from Detroit). It's not very pretty, but still works very well with a Datsun speedometer and GM automatic trans. I have an Autometer speedo and I no longer need the custom cable, so the old cable can be all yours. Send me an e-mail if you are interested.

-Andy

• 3 years later...
I have an Autometer speedo and I no longer need the custom cable' date=' so the old cable can be all yours. Send me an e-mail if you are interested.

-Andy[/quote']

What speedo cable did you use with the Auto Meter speedo?

Thanks!!!

That would be a pair of wires and a VSS. The Autometer speedo is electronic.