HybridZ

JTR sbc conversion 5 speed question

Well first off im new here and some people I know told me to come here to have my questions answered, so here it goes.

In the future im planning to buy a 240,260,or 280Z and do the jtr v8 conversion swap. the engine im goin to buy is a crate 327 sbc 375hp (comes with the flywheel) and i want to put in a richmond 5 speed w/ overdrive (not a fan of automatics). the car will be manual when i buy it. im not really mechanical incline but i learn things as I go. i will also buy the manual from jtr when i have the money. so all what needs to be done to put this swap together with the richmond 5 speed transmission? also what clutch do you recommend?

thanks jason

Welcom to the Forum Jason. This place is a massive wealth of information and knowledge, with some of the brightest minds i have had the pleasure to encounter. That being said the response that i would expect to your question is going to direct you to the search function. I know that when i first joined, i would spend a solid 4-6 hours a day reading posts, reading about builds, reading about all of the problems that are encountered with various swaps, and reading about the best parts to use.

I don't know exactly how much you have your heart set on building a hybridz. I can tell you that it is very much a rollercoaster ride of triumph and defeat, that it will consume much much much more of your time and energy (read as cash as well) than you could ever expect. That being said, you can end up with a vehicle that is fast, handles well, and after a lot of tinkering can be cery reliable. If you are not mechanically or technically inclined before you start the project, you certainly will be by the time you finish (if you finish).

Ok, now to try to answer your question.

You need to decide what smog restrictions you have in your area, or any areas you may be moving to soon. It is much easier to deal with a smog exempt vehicle. I live in california, so for Hybridz #2, I bought a smog exempt 1975 280Z.

As far as the transmission, as far as I know, I have zero actual experience with the richmonds. I dont know how you plan to use your car. If you want a daily driver, you can use something like a t-56, or a t-5wc, and save a great deal of dough ( you're going to need it). I ran a t5 WC, and it is perfect for me, and my little 327 could put out very impressive power.

As for the clutches, again i dont know what you plan to use the car for. So i cant possibly answer your question.

Anyhow, I hope that I have illustrated the importance of doing your homework, because without precise questions, there can be no precise answers.

Best of luck to you Jason, Remember to rest your eyes for about 10 minutes every hour, you'll be able to read for a lot longer that way.

Joe

Thanks for responding to my question Joe, ive been doing alot of research on this jtr build on different transmissions, engines, bellhousing, suspension, differentials, etc. I don't have to

worry about emissions at all since I lived in FL and we haven't had inspections since I was born (23 now) as far as engines i'm very set on the 327(<3 the carb) cause I love the way it revs fast and the way it screams, also that being said its smaller than a 350. which will give me better weight distribution. on the transmissions ive been deciding between the tremec tko 500 or the G-Force T5 gears (open to suggestions on the pros and negatives of both), but im leaning more towards the T5 on how people tell me to get the camaro transmission 83-92 I think ( is this true?) and shifts great with the 5.0 pro shifter? The differential the R200 in the 280z is more than enough (thats what i heard). Its gunna be mostly use for a Weekend Warrior/Daily Driver and some autocross events (No drag racing at all). I know cars very well but when it comes to mix matching parts, engines, transmissions etc, this is where I need the help. Im open to suggestions on what people did to put theirs together.

I will also be working on this for a couple years so time and money are not really limited since its just me at home. Im very commited to make this possible so if anyone has advice for me if you could please help out.

Thanks Jason

Good thing you are doing your research. If you use the search function, you will find that most of your questions will probably have been addressed in the past 10 or so years this site has been up. Our archives are full of great information, just like Joe said.

The Small Block Chevy engines have the same basic dimensions and similar weights. The major difference between engines (cubic inches) is the bore and stroke of the motors. A 327 will not make near the HP or torque of a 383, yet they share the same basic dimensions. You should read a bit and do some more reseach about the engines in general. Get a good book like How to Build Max Performance Chevy Small Blocks on a Budget by David Vizard. There are other good books out there too.

Welcome to the forum.

Davy

Forget the Richmond transmission. The most easily adaptable transmission is the WC T-5 from the 82-91 Z-28’s and Trans Ams to ID these transmissions they have a 26 count spline input shaft (search you’ll find more info) You’ll want the bell housing, drive shaft slave cylinder and associated items that come with the tranny. You can upgrade these transmissions with either Gforce gears or gears from APC (Astro Performance)

A 327 vs. 350 for weight savings/weight distribution is negligible. What you do want to do is add aluminum heads, aluminum water pump and aluminum radiator for weight savings.

The R-200 will hold up fine

I would suggest replacing all the bushings on the car as a starting point, power with out control is dangerous.

Welcome to the forum and be sure to get a copy of the JTR book and keep it next to the crapper:mrgreen:

thanks for the info guys, I always say you learn alot by reading but you can learn even more by asking questions :mrgreen:

Hmmm, I sense a bit of a jab there... oh well.

The 327 is a great setup, I have 3 of them so I may be a bit biased.

But to me, power is power. Andif its a small block chevy only your imagination and the depth of your pockets dictate how much power your engine can yield. And how fast it revs, and every aspect of the power curve, are all "easily" manipulated with parts and tuning.

So, good choice on the 327, the t5wc shouldnt give you any problems... I got mine out an 89 firebird. I suggest looking up a parts interchange site, or a site dedicated to the T5. it will tell you exactly what you are looking for in the way of donor cars and gear ratios available.

I know that this IS going to sound like a jab, but I forgot to mention it in the first post. So please dont be offended. I would suggest that your research begin by going to the forums you are interested in, and reading through the stickies. And of course, the rules here are VERY important. These forums are well policed, and from what i can see the rules are strictly enforced.

Best of luck, always glad to see more hybrid z fans,

Joe

Well if it sounded like a jab it wasn't meant that way, I learned alot so far by reading the forum but it helped me more by asking questions thats what I meant. As far as the T5 thats what I decided to go with since its the best option for me to have the G-Force replace gears. I just need to find a bell housing that goes in straight instead of the 15% tilt from the camaro unless you think it will work out fine with an after market shifter (I was thinking B&M). I found a clutch and flywheel so no problems there.

Thanks for the feedback, Jason

Jason,

Have been running a WC T-5 trans with a standard bolt pattern bell housing (straight up) for a few years without any problems.

It is the same bell housing that can be used with all the muncie and borg warner 4 speed trans; they use the same 4 bolt mounting pattern.

Choose a shifter that has a removable stick which you can either modify or purchase a stick that will have the correct offset for your needs; most of the aftermarket shifters for the T-5 trans should have removable sticks.

Get a shifter that has a low profile if you want it to fit under the stock console and come up through the stock shifter location.

The Richmond 5 speed will take some effort to fit due to the shifter and arms being mounted on the outside (to the drivers side) of the trans.

Tunnel clearance will be an issue, as you need to get the rear of the trans high enough to get the proper driveline angles to the diff.

All the other members that have posted here give you great suggestions.

Building a hybridZ will take much effort and trial and error to get it right.

It's not like swapping engines and trans in a Camaro....

Good luck.

I just need to find a bell housing that goes in straight instead of the 15% tilt from the camaro unless you think it will work out fine with an after market shifter (I was thinking B&M).

No you need to go ahead and get the JTR book NOW. You'll understand why the 15 degree tilt of the bellhousing is preferred for the JTR conversion.

The set up on my last car was SBC WC T-5 with stock bellhousing, Ram clutch, Hurst shifter, every thing bolted up fine. Just get a complet WC T-5 with the bellhousing, etc. it works.