HybridZ

Parasitic horse power loss

Dave

Years ago I built a street rod and used a device called a PassMaster that cuts the power to the the clutch for the airconditing compressor on full throttle. The PassMaster is Vaccume actuated. I used it on the alternater to cut the field circuit on full throttle. The PassMaster is NLA there has to be something out there that is Vaccume actuated that I can use instead. Does anyone have any ideas? Some one said that Dodge in the early 80's had such a device screwed in to the manifold that was vaccume acuated but I have had no luck finding anything. Help me out here guys. When I had it on my 30 Model A that was Windsor powered you could feel the alternater cut out in the seat of your pants. One side note here this may not be for every body because there is a voltage drop when this happens and the ECU may not like it.

Dave....

Guest Anonymous

Well the KISS approach would be either:

1 icon_smile.gif Manual temp contact switch on shift handle.

2 icon_smile.gif Switch that gets contacted at WOT.

Either of these could be used to cut the compressor out.

I'm sure somewhere there is some sort of vacuum operated pressure switch, just not sure of the usage or application. I know that doesn't help.. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Dave,

Have you checked into Jacobs Electronics; Chris Jacobs in his first book, "The Doctors Step-By-Step Guide to Optimizing your Ignition" and in the updated version, "Performance Ignition Systems" he talks about off-roaders using relays to cut the voltage from power robbing accessories under WOT (Wide Open Throttle).

Chris Jacobs also incorporated that idea into his company & sells his own version of those relays for cutting power to non essential accessories under WOT (I've heard he's sold Jacobs Electronics-dont know if this is true or not)...might check it to that; in his book he claims some eng/trans/vehicles can benefit upto an additional 1000rpms due to removal of that parasitic loss(?).

Worth checking into! Let us know what you find.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)