HybridZ

Mr. Pete Paraska

SuperDan

Pasted (and editted) this from http://www.hybridz.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000267 , a previous thread on AC:

I put AC in my 73. I have an old 327, but the only difference that might make is the compressor and brackets (simple to make).

Here's the specs on my system:

Sanden 508 compressor with custom brackets

Vintage Air P/N 03250-VUC Horizontal Super Flow condenser, 12"tall x 23.9"wide x .83" thick (supposedly 40% more cooling capacity that an similarly sized run-of-the-mill condensor without the micro tube dual pass setup) This fits in the recess of the radiator support that surrounds the radiato opening.

Vintage Air R134a hose/drier kit

ARA under dash evaporator & box from bought from Courtesy Nissan. This is the same box the Z's came with when they had dealer installed air (I had an old one to compare it to), but it came with a R134 evaporator and expansion valve and a thermostat.

I have a GT Mustang cooling fan to help pull through the condensor I also sealed the radiator to the core support and the condensor to it as well. All air entering the condensor must go through the radiator core, and all air pulled through the radiator core must enter through the condensor.

The most important part of this setup is the Ford 1985 Full Size LTD blower fan and motor I cobbled into the 240Z fan box. I also sealed the connection between the fan box and the evaporator box well since it is a suck through evaporator setup. This fan pulls about three times as much air as the 240Z fan, by my sloppy experiments.

I don't know how well it works since I haven't driven the car yet (paint jail right now - June 2001), but I'll have it done this Summer and report on it.

Hope that helps. Let me know if there are any details I left out that interest you.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Pete,

Could you give a little more detail on the bracket you made for the AC compressor?

My compressor needs to mount on the drivers side like yours.

I understand from my research that Sedan (sp?) compressor mounts like a alterantor bracket.

Do you have any drawings of it?

That is my only hangup right now is how to mount it low and tight icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

The bottom bracket to hold the pivot lugs on my Sanden 508 compressor was made from a piece (9" long?) of 1.5" angle bracket. I used the top two bolts of the JTR driver's side set back plate, that bolt to the GM mount. I used too-long bolts in the two top holes so that they protrude through the plate by about 1/2". One side of the angle iron, which sticks forward in the engine compartment, has holes in it that align with those two bolts. (I ran locknuts down on those once the mount was in place.) The other side of the angle is somewhat horizontal above the side of the angle that bolts to the set back plate. On that horizontal side of the angle, I welded a piece of flat plate flat on the top side of the angle, and a piece of tubing with a 3/8" i.d. that was just long enough to go between the ears of the mount points on the bottom of the compressor. It's a good idea to weld a piece of flat plate between the legs of the angle to stiffen it.

If you use the Sanden 508, you use the front groove of a two groove pulley on the long water pump. The rear of the compressor is very close to the header. You could use the shorter Sanden to get away from this and lower the weight.

For adjusting/holding the top of the A/C compressor, I used a rod end-turnbuckle setup from Street and Performance.

Sorry, no drawings.