HybridZ

Nedd help with info on VQ engines.

MREDDLE

I'm looking at installing a VQ35DE or HR in my 280z. I am looking at doing a stroker motor 4.1L or 4.3L? So, I find out that the frontier and others came with a VQ40DE motor that shares the block with the VQ35HR. My problem is that I can not find any information on the VQ40DE, VQ35DE or VQ35HR. Like head CCs, block hight, runner length, valve dia, ect.. or if the VQ40DE is infact a stroked VQ35HR motor? I do know that the VQ40DE, VQ35HR and VK45de motors have the same tranny bolt pattern. So, the question is does anyone know were I can get any information/specs on this motors. I wanted to input the in the engine design utility for everyone to use.

I'm sure you've seen this, but here's an HR site.

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/VQ35HR

I'm in the middle of putting a VQ35HR (2007) into a 78 S30. From what I understand is that the VQ40, VQ37, VQ35HR are all the same block, but different size cranks, pistons, rods and Cams. I started amassing parts before the VQ37 was avail, so I'm already set for what I've got $ into.

I guess the VQ40 is really built for low end grunt rather than performance, since they use it in the trucks more than anything.

Some other things to be aware of is the size of the engines. They are taller than the DE series engines. So making them fit is fun. I'm looking at either making a heavy skid plate, or making a different oil pan.

Lastly, I cannot stress enough, to get ALL the wiring harnesses, and ECU modules, BCM, NATS etc from the same donor vehicle. Finding these parts separately is very labor intensive, and expensive!, so get as much as you can to start, if not the whole donor vehicle. Most 07+ vehices are shipped to the coasts where it's easy to get high $ for the parts.

Phar

Well, look at my thread here: VQ35HR??.

You'll see I'm doing things piecemeal.. Really NOT reccommended. but I have time... If I was doing it over I'd be looking for a single car to tear everything out of, it would be a lot more expensive initially, but MUCH less headache and eventual cost for finding all the parts.

I'm still totally for now under $3 grand but from a single car, you could probably get a setup for about $3500 to $4000 for an HR engine/harnesses and all the sensors etc. Finding them isn't the easy part though. Being a recent engine there's just not that many around. What I can tell you though is that if you're patient you CAN find deals. my engine itself, I paid $900 for total. but I still need a starter... MAF's it takes 2, I just got for 45/ea when they're usually 75-80 used. so there's deals out there. but getting it all at once saves a lot of headache, but takes out 99% of the guesswork. I'm still wondering if I have the right harnesses. or if my ECU will work. stuff like that. so save the trouble and just get one as complete as possible.

You're in NY so there's a higher chance a junk yard would have a VQ for you, at a decent price. around here everything that gets wreaked gets shipped out to the coasts to be sold for higher $...

Phar