HybridZ

setting odometer to 000001

Guest Anonymous

That is illegal in most states I would think (especially in CA)--it is altering the odometer and that is a big "no no." If your odometer "breaks," then you can legally change it for a new one, and that will read "01 miles."

Of course there have been guys that have tried things like hooking the odo up to a drill and reversing the mileage that way, but I would never suggest that because of the legal issues involved. You are better off just buying a new odo/speedometer. My $.02 icon_smile.gif

Davy

I'm not sure of the actual "wording" of the statutes when dealing w/odometer alterations-but the complaint is always listed as "Odometer [Fraud]"...fraud being the operative word.

IMO (non-attourney oppinion) as long as he doenst sell the car claiming it to be the original odometer mileage & completely makes the new buyer fully aware of said odometer changes, then there cant be any fraud-thus negating the word [fraud] in the "Odometer Fraud" complaint.

Again, IMO (non-attourney opinion) the fraud occurs when the odometer alterations are made and the new buyer is not made aware of the changes & the seller is selling the vehicle as if the new mileage is the original mileage; usually in an attempt to increase the market valure at time of sell-that is the fraud!

The only argument to the above is; what is the actual statute in your state...does the statute have wording such as, "Any alterations to the odometer-regardless of prior knowledge or intent"; then that might get you in trouble. But then you have to ask-if the original mileage was above 100k which is the point at which most states exempt you car from keeping mileage records-then what does it matter as long as the new buyer is made aware of the odometer changes at the time of the purchase(?).

I did the same thing on my International 4x4 when I rebuilt its powertrain; the odometer was an original 104k so I reset it to "0'...no intention of fraud-just wanted the odometer to read "0" upon my rebuild; of which, if/when I choose to sell it/the buyer will be made fully aware of the changes.

If/when you sell your car-& you have altered the odometer-make sure you get the new buyer to sign an agreement admitting that he/she was made aware of said odometer alterations-& keep a copy for yourself; also make sure witnesses sign testifying they too witnessed both the buyer/seller agreeing that said alterations were made known at the time of selling/buying the car...that should keep you out of trouble. Keeping in mind-this is speculation on my part but I think that should keep anyone out of trouble.

In my adjuster days (the company I worked for handled premises insurance Nationally for auto dealers) when we received an Odomoter Fraud claim-the charges of damages go right up the food chain.

In other words-who had the knowledge of the [fraud]; The dealer was expected to buy the customer out of their car (what the customer had in it-basically null/void customer's purchase/the banks always work w/you) & would pretty much make the customer happy by basically giving the customer the car they wanted at cost. Then we-the insurance company-would make our claim to the previous owner of the car which sold said car to the dealer.

It didnt matter if that previous owner had prior knowledge-they were accountable; this is were the "Consumer Rights" come in. If you are buying something & it doesnt matter if you are a wholesaler or retailer/if-when you buy something you are considered a "consumer". Courts look upon the consumer as being innocent-thusly the consumer laws lean toward protecting the consumer.

Back to the story; so if the previous seller decides to play hard ball; they will be sued and the outcome (which all courts understand & adhere too) will rule in favor of the consumer; so the previous seller is forced to buy the car back. Then it is their turn to chase the previous seller & do the same thing to them....eventually the previous owner that had the actuall knowledge of the odometer fraud is located & either they buy the current owner out & attempt to hush/hush things or they are prosecuted-depends on the turn of events & if the State DA gets involved or the parties (claimant/insured) want to work things out themselves.

Hopes that clears things up or adds a little light to the subject: atleast from an insurance point of view.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Kevin Shasteen ]

Kevin, I was coming at his post from a car dealer point of view--you are right in saying that if no fraud is intended, then it probably does not matter too much.

Suffice it to say that these cars are so old, it does not matter what the odo says. In other words, if you are in the market for one of these cars, do you even care what the mileage says anyway since the odo only has 5 numerical places, not 6? I never did.

CA DMV does keep track of the odometer readings every time a car is sold. If someone changes the mileage reading, there legally must be a "statement of facts" given to DMV. However, when a car is really old, they can't verify it's 100% correct anyway. My $.02

Davy

MANY (18?) years ago, my Z was turning over to 100,000 miles, and I put the puppy up on jack stands and ran it the last half mile until all 00000 showed on the odometer. I then pulled it out and replaced it with another used one.

It now resides in my rebuilt from the ground up Z - pretty fitting. At this point, it makes little sense for me to talk about the car's actual mileage.

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

That reminds me of the terms we had when I was a real estate appraiser: the actual age and the effective age are very different things. Pete, I think your car has an effective age of 0 or even 6 months (wheels and tires count, sorry) icon_smile.gif

Davy

Guest mtj71Z

ok havok here is how you do it

i had my dash out and figured i would try it hehe. the dash has to be out...on a 240 anyway.

if you feel like it or are planning to replace your dash, or have it off for some reason, just do this:

take the speedo off the little black gauge cup, then unscrew the back where the cable connects to it (those 2 screws). unscrew that wire device that turns back the small 4 digit numbers, then push firmly on the screw that used to connect to the speed cable. the gauge should pop out. no need to unscrew those 2 black screws on the front. then u can turn the mileage back. its a little tough cause there are little metal locking things, but just press ahrder and spin it and it turns icon_smile.gif

I think Davy is correct when referring to Pete's car as opposed to everyone else's car.

Its kind of like dog years! Most of us spend about 6 months to 2 years making the swap while Pete takes 10 years...that makes Pete's Z quite older than the rest of our Z's.

Hehe-I think we just created a new term Paraska Z years compared to normal Z-years!

Sorry Pete; couldnt refuse; BTW when do you get your Z out of Paint Jail?

In regards to the object of this thread-If you're gonna set the Odometer to "0" its always good to practive on an second hand extra Odometer; that way if you accidently break the Odometer w/the learning curve factor-you have nothing to worry about because its an extra & not the original Odometer...if it matters at all.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

It's simple! Before a crime can be committed two (2) elements must be present. "Ability and Intent." Justification of charges surrounding a crime must prove these two elements exhist. Otherwise, such aligations cannot stand in court because they do NOT satisfy the requirements for a crime.

Whereas, Fraud implies willful intent, and thereby satisfies one of the requirements. Intent, is justified by the action, whereby, the latter is also justified.

In this situation the "ability" aspect maybe proven to exhist. However, charges of "intent to defraud" is not the premise for the owners actions. There was no intent to mislead or give false understanding or misrepresentation. Therefore, by negating these two primary elements it constures such charges to be irrelivent.

As long as the individual shows intent not to be false, a problem should not exist.

icon_cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Kevin Shasteen:

I think Davy is correct when referring to Pete's car as opposed to everyone else's car.

Its kind of like dog years! Most of us spend about 6 months to 2 years making the swap while Pete takes 10 years...that makes Pete's Z quite older than the rest of our Z's.

Hehe-I think we just created a new term Paraska Z years compared to normal Z-years!

Sorry Pete; couldnt refuse; BTW when do you get your Z out of Paint Jail?

In regards to the object of this thread-If you're gonna set the Odometer to "0" its always good to practive on an second hand extra Odometer; that way if you accidently break the Odometer w/the learning curve factor-you have nothing to worry about because its an extra & not the original Odometer...if it matters at all.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Kevin you funny guy, you. :rooleyes:

1 guess 10 Paraska years = 1 Z year?

Well, the paint got put on the car, but a really small void in some plastic skimmed on the roof by the previous body shop developed into a small sink hole in the paint. The painter fixed it so that 999 people in 1000 would not see it, but he's now working on repainting the roof. Good thing this guy is a wizard, as he can blend the pearl. Probably won't get it back for another few weeks, as he's going on vacation this/next week.

Oh well, I've waited 11 years, what's another few weeks?

Pete, the pics of your car with that new paint made it look absolutely stunning. Truly a pure, smooth as glass, shinier than water look. Just beautiful; totally show car quality. I think you got your money's worth with this one. Just be incredibly careful putting it all back together, please...or you will weep some bitter tears!

Davy

Well Pete; FWIW-it you were closer & upon completion of your car...I'ld throw you a "Coming Out Party"...as in your Z coming out of the Garage!

Not to many people spend that much time restoring a car....I bet you're as giddy as a school girl whose just been asked out to the prom....I know I'm looking forward to your car being completed; keep us informed big Daddy-Ehhh! (sorry for the Elvis impersonation; doesnt have the same effect on a computer...its late & I need to hit the sack).

Kevin,

(Yea,Still a "Non-Restored/Old Paint Faded" Inliner)

Thanks guys - I'm pretty stoked about it! And those pics are the day after it was painted, before it was wet sanded and compounded!

Don't worry, the body and paint guys are incredible prefectionists. The painter, Richard Glemph, is a pretty well known street rod/ show car painter in the area. They wouldn't dream of letting me put it back together. They have the other big parts on now and I'll be going to see it and take pics tomorrow if they haven't started fixing the roof yet. I'll post new pics if I get some.

Believe me, that paint job wasn't cheap. Confidential number, to save me from shame. icon_wink.gif

Guest Anonymous

You can tell just by the look of it that it wasn't cheap, but hey you don't toil for 11 years and then put on a Maaco paint job eh? It really is perfect looking, I couldn't believe it hadn't been color sanded yet or anything, out of the booth, looked like deep glass. Gonna be a beauty. Fitting paint job for probably one of the finer Hybrid V8 conversion cars in design and execution your going to see.

Regards,

Lone

Yeah Pete, I think your car is quite possibly the finest example of a hybridz out there, and I am sure not many that have seen it could disagree. (hell you can tell by the pictures)

I'd really like to see the car in a magazine or two! icon_smile.gif

Drax, thanks for that vote of confidence!

But I'll tell ya, there are a few others that I'd probably name before mine!

The one that comes to mind immediately as a favorite HybridZ is Terry's. Then (stream of consciousness) SpeedRacer's GTO replica. Or is that in the other order, I don't want to even think that far. There are some really cool HybridZ's out there, all with their different outstanding attributes. I'll stop there. But I really am anxious to get mine on the road to enjoy DRIVING it.

Thanks again guys!

Pete, once the car is finished, you should take the time to do some major photography with the car yourself or even get a pro to do it--that car is more than magazine material!!! I think Evan had some very "artsy" shots of his car in a sunset. Please do some of that for your car too. I swear you'll see shots of it coming up on other guy's websites! icon_smile.gif

Davy