HybridZ

Rear 280z Suspension Question

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has had any success working on their rear suspension on a 280z without having to remove the spindle pins (we all know what a pain this to do). In other words is it possible to remove the three strut bolts ,emergency brake cable and compress the springs while they are still on the car and lower the strut assembly enough to work on it.

What I am trying to do is lower my rear which is currently sitting higher than the front. I may just change the upper insulator mount to a set from a 240z and hope I get about a one inch drop for my efforts.

Any help, suggestions and/or direction would be much appreciated. :)

We replaced the rear springs on a 260 2+2 (late) without removing the spindle pins. The late 260Zs are very similar to the 280Zs. We had to remove the emergency brake cables and possibly the rear brake lines (can't remember). You might need someone to help push the rear control arm down while you swing the strut assembly out (clear the rear fender lip). It took us quite awhile but is was possible.

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has had any success working on their rear suspension on a 280z without having to remove the spindle pins (we all know what a pain this to do). In other words is it possible to remove the three strut bolts ,emergency brake cable and compress the springs while they are still on the car and lower the strut assembly enough to work on it.

What I am trying to do is lower my rear which is currently sitting higher than the front. I may just change the upper insulator mount to a set from a 240z and hope I get about a one inch drop for my efforts.

Any help, suggestions and/or direction would be much appreciated. :)

Definitely possible to do. I actually had the spindle pins still in with the struts pointing out sideways from the car. Might just take a little leverage to get the control arm down enough for the tops of the struts to clear the fender.

Also be sure to lift the car up plently.