HybridZ

Gas station question

Owen

Guest Anonymous

I believe its inside the gas nozzle, its a sensor and shuts it off. They're a pain in the ass on bikes, you have to hold the boot back because you can't get the nozzle in enough and if you misjudge it you soak the hot bike and yourself in gas... icon_mad.gif

Regards,

Lone

When your gas gauge reads empty, your tank is filled with air instead of fuel. As you add fuel, the air must move out of the tank to make way for the gas. Next time you fill your car at the gas station, take a look at the pump nozzle. You will find a hole about a half inch from the end of the nozzle. This hole is connected to a small pipe that travels through the nozzle to the handle.

When you fill your gas tank, some of the displaced air flows through the hole in the nozzle into the pipe. When the tank is full, the hole will be below the gasoline level and no air will pass through the pipe. A mechanical switch inside the nozzle detects when the flow of air stops and shuts off the gas.

You may have noticed that, after the pump shuts off, you can get more gas in your tank by pulling the nozzle out of the tank a bit. This is because you’re moving the position of the hole relative to the gas level and allowing the mechanical switch to reopen.

How does the gas filler nozzle know when to stop? On my CRX which has all the stock tubing and vent tubes and whatever, it just stops when it's full. But my Z is just a straight tube to the tank with no flap valve (kinda like those old toilets that were just a hole in the ground). For people with tanks like this or with fuel cells, does the nozzle stop automatically? Or do you have to guess how much is in the tank and then stop filling yourself?

I don't wanna be standing there and suddenly see gas overflowing all over the side of my car!

Does the 280Z tank have any vent tubes, etc? I don't remember seeing any on mine...

Owen

Dude! Now THAT'S an anwser! Never looked at the nozzle before, maybe should since who knows what kinda crap may be on there...

So the air travels out while the gas travels in, like the fuel hoses they use in racing pit stops. Ingenious.

Owen

Guest Locutus

The little small holes are an emmisions thing. The air that is displaced as you fill your tank is captured and cleaned. It is to reduce the amount of gas that is released into the air as a vapor. Here in Texas not all gas stations are required to have them yet(mostly old mom and pop stations in the middle of no where). The older pumps do not have those holes, but I think it works the same way. Once the gas reaches the nozzle there is some kind of switch that detects the pressure and cuts off the nozzle.

Mike