HybridZ

VG33 Head Porting / Polished Combustion Chambers

Careless

Thought I'd post this here too to get some feedback. Took some experience from porting my first set of heads and went to town on the 2nd set for my upcoming VG33 build.

I've just hit the intake side here and did some combustion chamber polishing, but I'll be redoing the combustion chambers when some spare ground-down valves come in the mail from a fellow local Z'er. :D

I did such a good job on the intake porting, I figured I would post them here (at least I think so anyway). I know they are not to be polished, but I am posting them so that some of you may comment on the final finish of the intake port. I notice that it looks very smooth, but I assure you, I last hit it with a 120 or 180 cross-buff. I did not end up using the 320 cross-buff, so I'm unsure as to whether this is too smooth or not. Should I hit the ports with the 320 grit? Or should I leave them at 180?

You can see most of the pics here. They're almost all of the same port, all high resolution 12 megapixel images so they take a while to download. All of the ports are near identical, so I really only shot pics of one or two, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway :)

http://rb30de.com/engines/vg33e/?d=head_modification

I've stalled in order to clean my other cylinder head so that I can get that ready for porting too. I've ordered some more flapper wheels from a fellow online via eBay. He's very nice and his prices are the BEST on the planet. (link below). I am waiting on this stuff, so I have a number of weeks to redo the combustion chambers when my spare valves are delivered, and I can then have the chambers polished to a super mirror finish.

http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/Halfofftoolsplus__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Preview pics are attached.

_DSC5158_thumb.jpg

_DSC5168_thumb.jpg

so what's everyone's thought on final finish? are the cross buffs really the cats meow in port finishes for a home job?

I went with the 320 grit, but I could rough it back with the 220.

A local Z'er from z31p is going to send me some spare valves tomorrow that are ground down already, so i can protect the seats so i can get a super-finish on the polish again in the combustion chamber, which I will be re-doing.

Thanks all for comments+feedback. highly appreciated.