HybridZ

Interesting Discovery...

WreZ

I was just on wikipedia searching to see what year z's would have the same egr tube as mine (btw which ones do?) when i saw that in 1981 nissan eliminated the manual transmission because they thought that the tranny couldn't handle the torque of the l28, is this true? I have a 1981 zx that has a 5 speed and i thought this was strange, can anyone confirm that this is true and is there anyway to lookup my vin and see if its a euro model or something?

Well let that be a lesson to us all, don't believe everything you see on the internet.

That EGR tube can be found on any model with the l28. Maximas and Z's from 79-83.

These models came in standard and auto. I believe the turbo models only came in Auto but after reading many threads on here I am starting to question that.

Front part of my Haynes manual shows how to read your VIN #.

The fourth from the end letter shows the country code

U = us

N = Canada

Hope this helps

Manual was only available on 1983 but some might have one with a production date before 8/82.

Turbo egr tubes are all the same.....don't rememer if N/A were but most likely.

As far as the FS5w71b tranny from the non-turbos.......it is easily as strong as the borg warner T5 that nissan though they needed.

My cars an 81 NA with a 5 speed, i know that i shouldn't trust everything i read on the internet but i just read it and thought to ask you guys to see if its legit. My cars VIN confirms its an 81 non turbo so theres no confusion there and im pretty sure the previous owner didn't do a tranny swap, anyway i just thought it was odd and had to ask