HybridZ

Jag V-12 for Ferrari GTO 250

staledale

I'm working out a deal for a Ferrari GTO 250. If I tow my boat half way cross country for the kit and donor car he'll give me the jag v-12 and the irs he was going to use. He's a professor and is intimadated by the kit. He bought all the parts includeing the new seats,carpet, console,vinyl parts and and new dash. The Jag is heavy but I'm intriged by it. I'm not after a speed demon, just a neat looking driver with a good sound.(I've already gone 9:90 at 147 with the chute not opening and the rear wheels hopping more then a rabbit in heat. Felt the urine and other stuff in my pants as the strip came to an end.) Done with that. Think that would be a cool swap?

That would be an incredible swap! A bit of advice however...

If this is going to be a fairly long project, I would take the time to do it right. The datsun wheelbase is something like (don't quote me) 8" shorter than the origional GTO was. My advice would be to extend the wheelbase those 8", and then get the V12 back as far as you could. I think you could have the right proportions that way, and still maintain a good weight distribution!

Man, that would so kick ass, I can just imagine the exhaust note to go with it. icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

I've had the opportunity to work on and drive a few XJ-S V12s and offer a few things to consider. The Jag V-12 is inherently a strong engine, and has performed well in endurance racing both in sedan and prototype categories. In stock form it has a strong torque curve designed for moving a heavy luxury sedan and runs out of breath at around 5000 rpm. Also, don't expect the exact silky exaust note as a Ferrari, but will sound nice nonetheless. I would consider cams ground for more of a midrange/top rpm rush to match the characeristics expected of a 250 GTO, well as a freshen up rebuild and balance. At least replace all seals and gaskets, due to AL expansion and contraction these things end up leaking like a sieve. The cost for all jag parts will be considerably more that for a Chevy V8, but I suspect anyone making this move has the resources necesary (I would hope icon_wink.gif ) There is a shop somewhere around Houston, TX that specializes in Jag performance, I'll try to find out exactly who if you like. Well, good luck. Keep us informed, sounds interesting.

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Paragod ]

Guest Anonymous

Someone here posted a Jag in a Datsun at one time. That would be sweet! V12's (Ferrari or otherwise) sound really cool. Be a really smooth driver. A bit heavy maybe, maybe not, I know nothing about Jag motors outside of parts are a tad expensive, but hey, the wow factor definitely scores a 10 on this one. icon_eek.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Wow, I give the guy credit on headers alone... man talk about a bed of snakes. Perhaps extending it like Richard said would be a good idea, get the balance of that pup a little better.

Regards,

Lone

Guest John Adkins

I liked the history of the V12 Z on the page,

especially these lines:

1985: Help with the kids.Fit in a 318 Dodge motor and automatic at a cost of nothing. People were giving them away.

1987: Refit with 318 and four speed. Still no charge. Purchase a complete glass fiber body from a friend for $200 and install it.

First he puts in a Mopar small block,(just my like project icon_smile.gif)then a jag V12 ! Cool!

They thanks guys. Paragod any info would be helpful. How heavy is this engine. Been looking up web sites, but havn't found any good ones yet. Speedracer, where you get your wheels? I've got the fake wires on mine. They were all rusty, and I spent better part of a rainy day with steel wool neverdull and wax on them. I love that look. You 250 is what got me started in this Z thing. Love that car of yours. I saw the real ones race when I was younger. Never forget them. Thanks again for the help guys,anyone find a good v-12 site please pass it on

Hi staledale - my wheels are custom made by Dayton Wire for the GTO kit. They are chrome 15x8" up front and 15x10 in the rear Just like the real GTO they have 72 stainless steel spokes and real knock-offs. I bought them from Jim Simpson http://www.simpsondesign.net/ who gave me a really good deal on them.

BTW, Jim is a great guy and used to sell the GTO kit as a Rhino a few years ago before he sold the molds to Stable Autoworks.

Thanks for the compliments on my car but please don't blame me! BTW, I dug out my old notes and Fred Wynkoop's phone number is (was a few years ago) (813) 343-9229.

Good luck on your project and let me know if I can be of any help.

Guest Anonymous

Sorry Speedrace I haven't gotten back to you earlier. I promise I'll get the name of that Jag shop tommorow. Should at least be a source of proven cam/fuel profiles. There are resleeve/piston/crank specifications made to take the V-12 out to 7 liters if I'm not mistaken. But would be expensive. Maybe a standard workover by an experienced machine shop with proper software to match port flow to cam profile will help. I'll get back to ya.

Yes, it is. Last night when I clicked on it from the featured cars page, I got a message that Zing was closing it's doors, etc. Now it's all showing as hosted on HybridZ, even the pics. I dunno, maybe Dan acted fast or I had a REALLY old link stored in my cache?

Hi Pete - yeah Zing sent me a notice that they where sutting down. I tried PhotoPoint http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1743399 but they only allow 10 pics with a paying membership. I also tried ofoto but it doesn't look like they allow anything other that a title on the pictures. I guess I'll have to breakdown and build a real web page. I've just been to busy and a photo album was easy. A anybody here have any other suggestions? icon_confused.gif

So thanks Pete and, if you would mind, please change the link on your site to the PhotoPoint URL for now and I'll let you know what I come up with. It's about time I worked on some new pictures anyway. Since I live near Meadow Brook Hall I think I will take it over there for some shots. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Pete - Actually it's my fault because I should have let you know when Zing closed down.

BTW, I think your site is pretty darn good. Fast and easy to navigate plus tons of great information. Also, your car is lookin' really good and I love the awesome paint job!!